Townsend

Hello...
I'm new on here - thought it might be a good place to learn a bit.
On Friday I bought a 'NEW' bike, but I really don't know much about it.
The frame is a Townsend Proteus, in a fetching shade of purple, with 6Speed Shimano SIS and vuelta (?) wheels.
Now, I found it on my cycling club forum advertised by the neighbour of the man who wanted to sell it. Apparently the man (in his 80s) was given the bike by a relative (second hand?) and used it to ride to work in 1978. Now, when I went to collect it, the man wasn't there, only his wife, so I didn't get to ask any questions about the history of the bike. Not that I was complaining. £30!
There are a few things here that don't add up. The frame must be at least <1978, if his memory is correct, but shimano SIS came out in '84 (wikipedia). The frame branding mentions quite clearly that it has Shimano SIS (must have been quite revolutionary as it takes up the whole seat tube), so it wasn't a later upgrade. Also, the wheels have quick release skewers, which I didn't think were around at that time. That and the fact that the braking surface looks pretty good makes me think that maybe the wheels are a later addition, maybe 1990s.
I'm not too fussed about an estimated value or anything - I am quite attached already, but any info on Townsend frames (or why cadbury's purple is a good colour for a bike ;-)) would be much appreciated.
Thanks
James

Re:

haha
Sadly not...
Done some digging and was a little disappointed. Was in my LBS yesterday and the owner didn't speak too highly of them - apparently £30 is £29 too much for a townsend... :roll:
ah well.
It does for winter anyway. Mudguards, panniers and away we go.

Re:

Pyro Tim":drl7ap76 said:
Townsend made BSOs only. Get rid of it as soon as possible, and get something else for a winter bike ;)
I've got one I picked up for 5 quid at auction, I've done about 250 miles on it and I haven't encountered anything that would make me think it's a mere bso, can you explain the acctual reason why they are so bad. Thanks, pat

It might be a Cambridge 'Light Blue' Townsend? They're a pretty reputable frame builder, but quite rare.
Otherwise, its gas pipe tubing with cheap parts.

Re:

My first MTB was a Townsend Avalanche. I bent the frame within a few minths...

Anywa y, last year whist looking at bikes on eBay I found a Townsend Enddurance MTB locally. Won it for £10. It rides quite well really for what it is although I wouldn't subject it to off road abuse. It has 18 speed SIS and bar ends. The frame is steel, made from 'mega oversize tubing'. The colour is pearlescent beige. I bought it as a nostalgia trip, I don't plan to use it much.

It's hardly been used, I think I got a bargain.

I think your sellers memory is more than a little off, 1978? More like 1998.

Back