SB9443 Team Owned Raleigh 753 Dyna-Tech Castorama

Maca

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
With the Panasonic finished I started looking around for the next project didn't really know what I wanted thou. But after speaking to a number of people at Eroica and seeing a number of threads on here I'd always fancied a proper team owned frame.

Whilst browsing ebay I saw a Raleigh Castorama team owned frame for sale but it was frame only no forks and by the time I had thought about it it had been sold. Then a few weeks later one popped up in my search when looking for 753 frames.

It said it was a Raleigh 753 Dyna-Tech in the Castorama colours and that it had a SB frame number. And it was £95. I straight away thought whats the catch and there in the description it was. The frame was cracked by the front braze on mech hanger. It also said it had a 2nd frame number which read OCB.82.90. I took a punt and made an offer.

Once it turned up we paint striped the area that had a tiny tiny crack in the paint and result ..... it was only paint deep.

As for the 2nd frame number it actually read JCB.B2.90 and from what we can see that makes it the 2nd frame that was built in 1990 for Jean-Claude Bagot.

A few people said that the Dyna-Techs were never badged as 753, but I recall back in the day my friend bought one that clearly had a 653 decals on it but that one did have the single wish bone style rear stays. But more over from what I have been able to find out the team helped Raleigh develop the frames and they were badged with Reynolds decals before they came up with their own.

And here's a nice pic of Mr Fignon on his 753 Dyna-Tech in 1989

The only pictures I can find on line of the Dyna-Tech frames in use are from 1989 and 1990 all with Fignon riding them. All the 1991 pics I can find show normal steel frames and it was then that they went across to shimano from campag.

So I have decided to build it as per Fignon's 89 - 90 Dyna-Tech with full Campagnolo (will be my 1st ever Campag build) but put Bagot's name on the side.

Re: Team Owned Raleigh 753 Dyna-Tech Castorama

I've started to collect a few bits already starting with what I deemed as the most expensive parts.

So far I've got the Brakes, Brake levers, Headset, Chainset, and a pair of Wolber TX 19 rims.

As for the wheel rims I knew it would a tough one, but again a random search on the bay threw them up in france cheep. Decals on them were shot so working on having new ones made and then looking to get the rims re-anodized

Old decal

New one's Just needs a little tweek

Next instalment when I get some more money :) this campag gear is not cheep :)

Nice find & will be great once you have it built up.
The Michelin HD 23mm Super Comp tyres will be difficult to find. I have one s/hand that I could be persuaded to part with.
If you do get the Rim Decals made I would be interested in a pair.
Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks, I've got a pair on nos hi-lites but as 20's rather than 23's. The rim decals in the picture are with me but just having them changed a little as there should be a clear cap after the "R" in wolber.

Will let you know once the new ones turn up.

Going to be using 7spd, I have the 7 spd syncro levers with a blue insert to run with the Gen 2 C Record rear mech that should be on its way to me.

I've got the updated wolber decals on their way, got a couple extra so if your happy with them once you see the pics I send you they will be £1.50 each plus a stamp.

This will be of help trying to get the Syncro levers to work.
You need to get the right chain/freewheel combo correct for the rear gear used & coloured insert in the lever.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 23.59.47.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 23.59.47.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 6,382

Thanks for the above Stringfellow, still working on getting the rim decals just right and have also picked up a pair for a mate which have the original white letters on them so will be having those done also if you wanted some.

In the mean time a few more bits have arrived, Rear Mech, Brake cables, Look pedals (I know the team bikes used time but I have used look since for ever and the cleats are much easier to find and use).
And thanks to Penfold I now have a matching pair of bottles.

Next up date might be a while as I'm all spent out now and need to get some cash in for more bits :)

Just been having a pay about with the new decals I had mad for the frame

These haven't been put on that well as I just wanted to see if the sizing worked (and the frame still needs painting). Looking at the pics and frame thou I have asked to have the named one re-done with a smaller gap between the "e" and the "B"

Back