Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
James1985 was kind enough to give me this Hercules Hustler

Picture%20065_zpsn9yld4k0.jpg

The frame and paint is in great shape but the chainset is bent.

If I can get it off without too much blood/ limb loss, I'll change it over to square taper and at the same time 'modernize' it sympathetically with a Sunrace/ Strmey 3spd bar end shifter and better levers. May fit some long drop dual pivots too as it nice to be able to stop...

Looks good! Steel chainsets straighten up quite easily if you have a nice big vice bolted down to something sturdy. A bit of thick bar through the pedal hole can be used to straighten the crank (it doesn't mangle the threads) and the chainrings can be tapped back into true with a soft-faced hammer while on the bike. Could just save you a bit of $$$ and retain originality :)

Lovely, the early Raleigh Hustler used the same colour way, I can remember these from about 71/72.

Please don't put that on this machine. It looks bloody awful. But hey its your machine. You can still find these old cottered steel chainwheels and cranks on Ebay.

Wow, I've just had a flashback to the mid-seventies!!

This was my first "proper" racing bike and I loved it - same colour spec etc. I was 12 or 13 years old and I bought it off a mate, sadly at that age I out grew it very quickly!

Thanks for posting.

Back