Raleigh Racer - a little help needed please

StellaArtoiz

Dirt Disciple
Hi all;

So I decided to take the plunge and propel myself straight back into the 80's with this entry level Raleigh Racer.

It looks almost all complete, I would like to source the original lights (to suit brackets) and water bottle if any one can educate me accordingly?

Other than the bike requiring new tyres, I will strip, degrease, clean and regrease accordingly ..... and hopefully enjoy ..... oh, and even more hopefully shed a few pounds!

Smart looking Cadet looking bike :) MrW hopefully will be along to confirm :)

1970-80's lights were shocking, please remove brackets and ride in daylight :)

Shaun

Re:

Brilliant - thanks for that, I shall search and seek said lights ..... I want to try to maintain the era correct look, despite technology having moved forward.

That looks to be in fantastic condition, and would look even better with all those reflectors and light brackets removed, you know it's the first thing your 12 year old self would of done!

Re:

Nice find. Doesn't look like it's been ridden much, does it?

The overall spec changed from year to year (10/12 speed and so on) but this one looks pretty close to yours:

ScreenShot2014-07-16at100053_zps9a18952d.jpg

ScreenShot2014-07-16at100039_zps4e4d484b.jpg

Not sure I'd want even a NOS one of that aero bottle, and as I guess you know, those lights were pish! Unless you're planning on having a retro accident with a Sierra or summat, I'd get some new ones. Something like a set of Lezyne Femtos can be had for pocket money, and are plenty good enough around dawn/dusk and in well-lit areas. Easily removed and won't spoil the look of your sweet ride.

Given it's Raleigh branded chainset, I'd say it was a very early (83) Cadet

Looks 100% original to me

and the lights? I chucked one of those out only 3 weeks ago, they were utter rubbish in 1983, so even worse now!

Back