1989 Raleigh Super-U Replica

MrW

Senior Retro Guru
Just picked this up this morning

Reynolds 531c with the most eclectic groupset ever! Shimano 600 Tri Colour Chainset, Front and Rear Derailleur with gear changers. Campag Seat post, Campag Headset, Campag Victory hubs with Mavic MA40 rims, and older Shimano 600 front & rear brakes (I believe), Super Turbo saddle, Cinelli stem and Cinelli Criterium handlebars.

It has a frame number on the BB, but I can only just make out the W as the paint is so thick. (there is another of these on here, and it probably has the same issue, i.e. paint is very thick, as I know the owner was trying to date it)

In very good order given it's vintage, just a few spots of rust around the cable guides on the top tube, so these will be treated and I'll have to check out B&M's range of nail polish to get a match!

When time allows I'll strip it right down as it is covered in grease and dust as the old boy that owned it passed some time ago, it was originally his training bike and it's been stored indoors ever since. (Michelin tyres are well past their sell by date!)

As it was picked up:

MrsW has suggested that one or two others currently in the 'stable' need to go now as one of the garages is starting to resemble a Raleigh bike shop circa mid 80's, so I might have some soul searching to do, watch the classifieds on here... :-(

Re:

I didn't see him, but I'm sure he was lurking somewhere!!

The serial number is so faint you can hardly see it

Once I've stripped it down I'll post a pic, but I can definitely see a W

Update; W K 8

So it's a 1988 frame...

Curious...

Potentially it could have been built in 88 and put to stock, sprayed and stickered up in 1989 when Fignon won the Giro?

Those style frames were painted in a variety of colours around that time.

Nice bike though, I was bidding on it!!

Matt_wood55":2bkbcdxb said:
Potentially it could have been built in 88 and put to stock, sprayed and stickered up in 1989 when Fignon won the Giro?

Those style frames were painted in a variety of colours around that time.

Nice bike though, I was bidding on it!!

It's not unusual to find out of year Raleigh's, especially when things like this one crop up.

I can't find an 1988 or 1989 brochure that has this bike, so it may have been a mid model year spur of the moment thing

It needs a little TLC, (BB grease is like tar, and the chainset hardly moves) but hopefully will be back on the road soon :D

Matt_wood55":1xr2hqoa said:
They were definitely around pre Fignon's Giro and Milan San Remo win as well. I know, I wanted one!!

All I can say is sorry....

I meant back in the day!!

I have one now, I just wanted another, so it's only fair that you now have one as well! And at a really good price I reckon.

Back