1980's mystery steel frame 'stonehenge cycles salisbury'

mrgumby

rBotM Winner
Here's one I picked up recently in warminster - a mystery steel framed 80's racer.

The crankset was a campagnolo gran sport and the wheels had some decent mavic rims. Nice campagnolo headset. Bit of a mix of parts really.

The steel seatpost was stuck but came out with a bit of persuasion. The stem is still stuck and will be cut off and removed in caustic soda.

Post code: 28 SP2 8DF

Damage:

Ding at bottom of seat tube and the bottom bracket shell has a bend in between the cut outs.. If i decide to repsray I could fix these i reckon.
One of the drop out adjuster screws has become lost in the threads. no way of fixing that i don't think..

DATA:

The weight of the frame and forks (now stripped) is 3.25kg
The seat tube seems to be about 26.5mm

PhotOs:

CEA14F3C-907D-47E8-8A68-E36250CBCB14_zpslfskvbgm.jpg

71E695BA-B7FE-4C7F-93A6-B3AAD68F64CF_zpstyz73yqb.jpg

1546CE98-E72A-4862-90B7-E8E4ED91A280_zpsmpq3kmw9.jpg

256C2089-AED3-4BAB-BC1F-8A430464BB81_zpshjemo9be.jpg

860B5175-C6E7-4A78-BBDE-B1CC4ADB2E88_zpspfelgtjc.jpg

D7F924AF-217B-4E1B-A292-808CEE9B1FF2_zpsmwackeby.jpg

9D0DFBEA-B664-4D7F-8FAA-B4D3BB19CA6F_zpsblzsozis.jpg

Sorry, don't recognise any features to nail the builder. Over bb cables and nutted brakes plus longer non-portacatena dropouts might make it a bit earlier?

Shaun

I used to buy all my race gear from Stonehenge cycles back in the day. I still have 2 sets of wheels built by Pip Brown with thousands of miles on and have never needed truing. I don't recall them having a frame builder so I'm guessing they bought them in. Give them a call, maybe some of the old crew are still there.

Thanks anyway shaun, I'm not that hopeful of identifying it to be honest. I might see what diameter the seat tube is to check if it might be 531..

I bought it thinking it might be a Rourke or something equally exciting, but I'm not so optimistic now i got it home. I think I was drawn to it for the parts, i figured the frame must be decent quality to have put the campagnolo stuff on it? Plus i like the decals!

It was worth it for the parts anyway so I'm not too fussed what happens to the frame now. I found Stonehenge Cycles on the internet and looks like a nice family run business, so i might ask if they want it back, to hang on the wall maybe?

Yes, I've just started a new ID (boydsbikes) on lfgss for cheap stuff and freecycles to London based people. About two weeks ago.

But I am still mrgumby on there most of the time.

I am also Boyds Bikes on eBay, but my shop has pretty much run out of stock as I've been busy with other stuff the last 3 weeks..

With the long point windowed lugs and cast (not seamed) bottom bracket it's very likely to be a top tubeset like 531 or SL. It looks early 80's (80-83'-ish) with that nutted brake bridge and top of BB cable guides. Looks like they sourced them in from an OEM framebuilders. There was so many small shops rebranding others frames, you'll have to contact them.

SP2 9DB stamp is Coronation Road, Salisbury.

I would totally agree - early 80's, all the components would tally as well.

So, I called Stonehenge cycles and spoke to Pip who was very friendly and helpful.

He said that they had some bikes made by Stan and then Phillip Pike, which they then sold with their bike shop stickers on them. Stan made the Top end frames (until he passed away at a young age in 1983). Phillip then continued building for a while after that making cheaper frames.

I had a quick look at www.stanpikecycles.co.uk and it's hard to say if my frame resembles anything on there, but its not a million miles off. Also, I did notice that they would stamp the frames with a postcode instead of a serial number if requested.

So, I guess it's possible it could be a Pike. Which would be great as I grew up about 10 miles from Crewkerne!

I have sent an email to the Pike experts and await some more news..

The weight of the frame and forks (now stripped) is 3.25kg

and the seat tube seems to be about 26.5mm

Not quite what i was excepting but its nice to have it fully stripped back now.

Back