1981 Gazelle Champion Mondial AB

Remko

Senior Retro Guru
Hi, normally I´m into pre 95 mountainbikes but I ran into a nice Gazelle roadbike a couple of weeks ago. It was used as a rowingcoach bike to ride along the channel with the boats.
I built up a more usable coachbike for the rowing club and swapped that with the Gazelle.

So the first step succeeded, saving the Champion Mondial. Next step was to restore it. Nice thing was that the bike still had all the original parts on it. In the early eighties manufacturers usually built up the bikes with a mix of parts. Most parts on this bike were Dura Ace 7200, combined with a SR Superbe crankset and Campagnolo shifters. Seatpost, stem and handlebars were all SR.

Since I'm not very well known with racing bikes I had to learn my way into it a bit. One of my conclusions was that bulding it up to original spec wouldn't make me ride it. I never understood the use of the narrow racing handlebars. Obviously because I started with mountainbikes and don't know what's it's like to ride a decent roadbike. But ok, I let go the idea to built it up to original spec again and mounted a more modern and light stem, mtb handelbars, v-brake levers combined with Modolo Professional brakes, a Flite saddle and mtb pedals. I'm keeping the original stuff, just in case.

Gazelle used butted Reynolds 531 tubing for the complete frame and forks. The frame is handbuilt by Gazelle itself. Size is 59 cm.
I did a short testride on it. That felt promising. It must be a great ride for long distances.

Attachments

• 20150421_194430.jpg
    20150421_194430.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,116
  • 20150421_194310.jpg
    20150421_194310.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,115
  • 20150421_194516.jpg
    20150421_194516.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1,115
  • 20150421_194345.jpg
    20150421_194345.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,115
  • 20150421_194534.jpg
    20150421_194534.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,112
Looks pretty good, build it how you want it etc. I think the only change I'd make - and purely for aesthetic reasons - would be to switch the stem to an alloy road quill stem if you happen to see one knocking about at a sensible price. Looks like a great usable bike with the best of everything you like on your bikes.

Re:

Nice looking flat bar screamer. I wanted to build one up like that for commuting, but I ended up with a monster cross style CX frame with disc brakes. Probably a bit more practical for our incessant rain.

If you don't like narrow drops, you can get wider ones. I've upgraded my road bike to 46 cm Nitto Noodles. It maintains the vintage look, but you get strong wide bars which suit my style of riding.

Re:

you should put cantilevers levers with these road calipers :idea:

V Brakes lvers don't have the same "leverage" ( the cable attachment is further away from the lever rotation point ) and you should get a a rather uneven braking efficiency ( low at the beginning and too strong at the end of the pull)

unless these avid levers have a tuning mechanism that changes the pull ( earlier SL had this opportunity) and I suspect they do with the small red "screw" visible on the pics

Nevertheless , early Dia Compe canti levers or Suntour would look much better IMHO :idea: ;)

But I like the idea , myself having built several road bikes with narrow rising bars and even early MTB thumbshifters that are very efficient in town :idea:

Re:

@Jonny69
You're right about the stem. I've got two suitable SR stems lying around. They would add originality to the bike but they're a bit short. The stem I've mounted on the pics has great welds and seems a real quality product. No idea what make it is.

@dirttorpedo
Thanks for the Nitto Noodles tip, I'll keep them in mind.

@bduc61
I've combined the brakes and levers because I thought it would be the right leverage.
But you're right about the braking power, the first few centimeters of pull is not doing much.
I'll mount some cantileverlevers instead.

I must say I like building up a bike like this. Normally I'm trying to stay as close to original spec as possible, but somehow with this Gazelle it's no problem to not be historically correct.
It has to look good though, like all of my bikes. But that's a matter of taste.

Re:

FYI, Shimano sells a set of brake levers for flat bars that are canti/side pull compatible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Tiagra- ... 20dbbeba2e

Also you could use interrupter levers if you want the minimalist CX look.

Velo Orange sells some vintage style levers that might work for you as well.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... evers.html

I think those Grand Cru regular pull levers look the cats ass!

Oh, hey if you want to get your shifters on the bars you could get a pair of these and mount your friction levers on them.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... -23-8.html

You'd need to get some cable stops for the downtube braze ons, but they're pretty cheap. Then you'd need new housing and cables. I think you might like having the shifters on the bar though so it would be totally worth the cost and effort.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Any brand known on that bike bduc61?
Nice looking geometry, that's quite a short chainstay.

Re: Re:

Remko":18yeqqfc said:
Any brand known on that bike bduc61?
Nice looking geometry, that's quite a short chainstay.

unfortunately framemaker unknown
but weight wise its most probably columbus SL ( frame is 1870 g , fork is 670g)
The paint is from a close to Paris firm but unfortunately very fragile - after use by my son, its not any more very good looking :roll:
Its probably from a nice frame maker from the Paris area end 80's ( but doubt its Alain Michel of which I have other frames )

and yes 23 tyres are the most you can ride with

nice seatstays :cool:

and this another one I did for myself on a Super Vitus 971 frame with early Dura Ace parts but more modern wheels - still very efficient ! with the most amusing front sticker !

P1030350_zpsced21957.jpg

P1030358_zps92e373f5.jpg

Back