Raleigh Criterium

DevonKim

Retro Newbie
I wish I had found this forum BEFORE I started fiddling around with this :roll:

Raleigh Criterium, 1982 I think, which has been set up for the Devon roads by fitting a triple on the front and an IRD 6-speed on the back. Purists will probably be shocked :oops: pink handlebar tape to make it easy to spot in a pile of bikes and less tempting to thieves.

Now for an ignorant question, is it possible to fit STIs for a 6 speed?

Attachments

• Raleigh.jpg
    Raleigh.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 750
Re:

You may have posted into the wrong forum but I've been working on a similarly aged Raleigh and can confirm STIs do not exist for six speeds. 7 speed easily slips in though and the shifters are easily available.

Re:

Its not for sale! Took me too many years to find it.

Thanks for the help, I guess that would mean fitting 7 speed block, then fitting the levers? There seems to be a 7 speed version of what I just fitted.

Re:

Stem is high because I have a problem with my back (couple of vertebrae have been fused) and that's the most comfy position for me. It has taken me nearly ten years to get a bike sorted that (a) fits, and (b) doesn't hurt. Being short hasn't helped with frame choice either.

Re:

Yeah, I've got an 86 Raleigh which had the typical 50/42 useless hill climbing set up. So I fitted a square taper compact 50/34 with 7 speed block 13/34 with modern Tourney 7 speed shifters and it climbs like a goat. Albeit an elderly billy goat.

Re:

The 7 speed screw on freewheel a are literally peanuts to buy (under a tenner) and even brand new Tourney shifters will set you back around £69 a pair new and maybe half that second hand. People may sniff at low end shimano stuff like Tourney but they've performed really smoothly for me on my build.

I do like these bikes, use lust over these as a boy. just a fyi in this colour combo its a 87 / 88 earlier ones were red with chrome forks.

Thanks Meejoir, I'll investigate that. I think fitting top end stuff to this would be a waste of time, particularly since I am never going to be a brilliant cyclist, so I just want stuff that will work OK. Devon hills can be challenging. Can't imagine how the previous owner managed with what was on it!

Thanks Maca - good to have a better idea of date for it. Its in nice condition for its age, and rides really nicely :)

Back