Raleigh SB7162 - Frameset to be resurrected -Team Panasonc

Andy64

Dirt Disciple
Hi, first post after a lot of browsing/lurking. I bring you this Raleigh SBDU frameset, frame #SB7162.
It looks a bit sorry for itself at the moment, having been smothered in Humbrol blue brush paint, but seems straight and undamaged, just needs a little TLC

In all it's glory
IMG_20150411_093520_zpsanf49zqa.jpg

Frame number
IMG_20150411_093309_zpsf0wirrqr.jpg

And the extent of the "painting"
IMG_20150411_093607_zpsg5yyqgeo.jpg

IMG_20150411_093739_zps0xpnlvkw.jpg

IMG_20150411_093650_zpsuowzs1b8.jpg

IMG_20150411_093809_zpsxf3qhlow.jpg

I've been told it's a 753 frame, and from the description I was given, it sounds like it was a Panasonic Team Replica. So that would make it the Super Pro variant with custom options.

I got it from an old guy I know, a keen cyclist at 78 years old, who has more bikes than I can count. He bought it from a friend (original owner) about 25-30 years ago, who was moving to New Zealand.
All original parts have been stripped over the years, apart from the head set, which were, apparently, Super Record.
He then built it back up to a running bike with spares he had lying around so he could go shopping on it. Not before smothering it in Humbrol to "protect the frame from rusting" :shock:

I had the chance to try out this shopper before he stripped it down again, and was quite surprised how smooth it rode. I kept looking at the front tyre to make sure it wasn't on hybrid rubber.

So, it's going to work with me next Saturday to be blasted clean, and check the insides of the frame to see if the rust proofing has done it's job. We have a very expensive fibre scope camera which can be put to good use.

Then I have to decide how to rebuild.
I'm torn between getting all original parts and colour scheme - time consuming and potentially costly, or
Plain (primary) colour scheme and more modern components - easier to source, and probably cheaper, as I already have some parts I could use.

Thoughts on age/model or any other opinions welcome

Andy

Re: Raliegh SB7162 - Frameset to be resurrected

Nice find :) Number is likely 1985. Quite possibly the worst paint job I have seen for some time but should scrub up well :D

Shaun

Re: Raleigh SB7162 - Frameset to be resurrected

Nice find. Hopefully all is well underneath the paint.
I agree with Shaun, that really is some paint job :) Pretty thick looking :)
Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it. Best of luck

Jamie

That paint job reminds me of my first adult sized bike in around the mid 80s. I was 15 and had acquired a very tatty looking racer from a car boot sale for £3.50. That summer to prevent it from rusting I painted it with bright green smoothrite. It went on very thick and ended up looking rather like that in places- wrinkles and all.

I learned from my mistake with my next bike. That got painted with bronze hammerite instead (and looked rather better!)

Re:

I've had some paint stripper on it this afternoon, and it is a Panasonic replica underneath the Humbrol. Can't yet confirm whether it is 531 or 753, as the stripper seems to have cut right through the sticker colouring.
:(
Suppose I'll wait till it's blasted, then weigh it for confirmation
Decal kits are available for the stripes, so that'll make the paint job a lot less complicated :)

Re: Re:

Andy64":yosx0vym said:
I've had some paint stripper on it this afternoon, and it is a Panasonic replica underneath the Humbrol. Can't yet confirm whether it is 531 or 753, as the stripper seems to have cut right through the sticker colouring.
:(
Suppose I'll wait till it's blasted, then weigh it for confirmation
Decal kits are available for the stripes, so that'll make the paint job a lot less complicated :)

You should be able to tell if its 531 or 753 by weight alone

531: 1900g > 2050g
753: 1700g > 1820g

In for blasting the frame today. Tried the nut blaster as it's a more gentle blast media. Unfortunately, it only took off the Humbrol. At least it confirms the Panasonic replica thoughts

IMG_20150418_120758_zpseboktzxt.jpg

So, into the shot blaster it went, revealing a Cinelli logo on the B/B next to the frame number. (It wasn't finished at this point)
What's Cinelli's connection to Raleigh?

IMG_20150418_120820_zpsbdt6jaeb.jpg

IMG_20150418_143721_zpsbhymhwfv.jpg

Edit to add:
otherself":hsucscny said:
You should be able to tell if its 531 or 753 by weight alone

531: 1900g > 2050g
753: 1700g > 1820g

Just weighed it, 1735g - frame. 685g - fork

753 it is :)

Back