peugeot pkn10 1980ish

artfulflounder

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Picked this up last week locally for a very reasonable amount.
It will be my first foree into a road bike and looks like a good starting point.

20150408_103016_HDR_zpserng6czh.jpg

20150408_103052_HDR_zpsiy7dhg0w.jpg

The first half serial number under bb are missing but from what I've managed to find is around 1980, judging by mafac centre pull brakes and paint.
Seat post, derailleurs and shifters all original simplex.
Atax bars and stem present. Campagolo skewers & hubs with mavic rims. knackered tubular tyres.

Paint work needs work, one of the previous owners decided to rattle can paint over some rusty spots and very badly at that. Had a quick rub with some nail varnish remover so Will strip the old girl down and see what's under there.

As my first road bike I think I'll hang onto her and may well get it re powder coated with new decals.
Cables, New seat and bar tape and be a happy bunny.

That looks great! Loving the Peugeot-branded derailleur and whatever those eyeletted rims are.

It's a pre-carbolite model because it's got lugs. There were all of the Peugeot brochures floating around on the forum somewhere, so you should be able to date it quite closely

Re:

Not much of an update really....just had some time to start stripping the old girl down.

20150416_111752_HDR_zpskuwoxflp.jpg

Serial number above begins with 0 so definately 1980. Also see in the picture some of the rust spots and quality paint touch up previously.

20150416_111654_HDR_zpso15wtw70.jpg

20150416_111630_HDR_zpshqjuolyu.jpg

Going to have to get the paint redone, whether powder coat or paint is better I'll have to investigate yet.

Components I've had a look at and wiped over and they will clean up fine I think. Wheels I don't have experience with so Will drop these into someone who can help me out with servicing or re building.
Jockey wheels look bit worn but apart from cables, tyres, bar tape and more age related sadle that's all it should need.

Water bottle cage looks bit worse for wear but don't know if worth saving?
Ale brand, logo looks campagnolo ish but no idea.

20150416_112440_HDR_zpsj2a8livl_edit_1429180442172_zpscb6vxks4.jpg

Re:

Finished stripping the frame down.

I would like to return it to original so cost wise I think it'll have to be powder coated, was quoted £250 for paint and I can't justify spending that.

Quite interesting reading about the quirks of a French frame.

The races in the headset need replacing

20150424_172849_zpsxyla4eru.jpg

But being french the stem is 22mm but I believe I could use a 1" headset but with the light race locknut on?
Would like to replace with a suitable age wise item.

The axle shaft is also well pitted.

20150424_172832_zpsjgbwbzbp.jpg

On removing bottom bracket the fixed cup has left hand thread.....so not french.
But from early 80s it could be Swiss thread....:/ ??
Apparently Swiss thread tend to have a groove round the fixed cup circumference as in the example below.

swiss_cup-120x105_zpsde4cubfq.jpg

Mine doesn't have this groove so I'm hoping it's British cups on the pkn.......maybe you guys would know better.

I've got stuck into the components as well, cleaning and regressing as I've gone along.
Most parts so far have come up fairly well.

20150424_173113_zpsfaum1yhs.jpg

20150424_173152_zpsbvggmzyx.jpg

20150424_173348_zpscjzplzpq.jpg

20150424_173242_zpsgcunldwm.jpg

20150424_173030_zpsaabnjfwg.jpg

Looking for parts and possible pricing....if cups are Swiss can I use a non threaded yst/ velo orange style bottom bracket ?

What if it's English can I put a sealed cartridge bottom bracket in there (121mm req'd) or replace with cups again.

Think crankset is nervar..... Peugeot logo only.
Is something like the stronglight 106 suitable in keeping with an early 80s french built bike?

Personally I wouldn't go with powder I always find it to thick and can start to chip of when rebuilding.

£250 is dear as its just white, I'd loo on line and see if you can find the decals and get in touch with my painter, he is a lo better than £250 just for a all white paint job.

http://www.mrcreations.co.uk/

mark@mrcreations.co.uk

Speak to Mark

Plenty of manufacturers used powdercoating, if it's done lightly it won't chip and looks great.

Back