1973 Carlton Continental restoration complete, new pics - p4

Spokesmann

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
This is my latest restoration project. I picked this machine from Surrey yesterday. The bike is in remarkable original and most importantly unmolested condition - save for a non standard chainset and flat bars. The owner did have the original GB drops too. This was hi granddads bike and has spent pretty much most of the last 40 years in the garage. Its rare to find a machine that has not been mucked around with like this.

A 420 mile plus round trip to Surrey from Plymouth. Bike has no major surprises, jus how I thought it would be, still rides, but needs some fettling. This one has a 22-22.5inch frame so is a little bigger than my current Continental. The guards are in great nick a few marks, but Bluemels Sprint Veloce models are very rare and expensive in themselves. It even still has its original pump, these always get lost. Basically it needs a good degrease, clean and re-lubing to all major bearings - BB and both wheels. The tyres will be replaced as will the tubes, new brake blocks, new bar tape, new cables. The W3N Wrights saddle just needs proofide. I have some new fork decals so this will improve the fork tops. Frame paint and decals have some wear but are in remarkable condition. All in all a good days work. Dismantling will commence soon.
I should add wheels are true and all C bolts are clean and accounted for! This project will take a few weeks as I want to return the bike to exactly how it was when it left the Worksop factory.

The Continental was the entry level Carlton BITD, but when you compare it to the entry level Raleigh's it (to my view) still shone out with that unmistakable Carlton brand cache - probably why Raleigh bought the company to start with.

Here are a few images of the bike newly placed in my workshop ready for dismantling.

P3281278_zpsa5lppktp.jpg

P3281277_zpse5tgtury.jpg

P3281272_zps3domdsph.jpg

P3281260_zps9ucngklv.jpg

P3281259_zpsdo1fkpdx.jpg

P3281258_zpsxnot5sjm.jpg

Re: A new project - 1971 Carlton Continental restoration

Carlton's did sell themselves BITD (the bikes I mean), nice finish and immichrome :)

Ride well too :). Just out of curiosity, what's the extra thing attached to the pump?

Shaun

Re: A new project - 1971 Carlton Continental restoration

Midlife":lydsrf5p said:
Carlton's did sell themselves BITD (the bikes I mean), nice finish and immichrome :)

Ride well too :). Just out of curiosity, what's the extra thing attached to the pump?

Shaun

Shraeder/Presta valve converter.

Im restoring this machine as this was my very first proper bike and my very first Carlton. I still have a Continental but it has has a few modes over the years. Its been with me 40 years next year.

Re:

Bike now dismantled. Usual stuck cotter pin though! :facepalm:

Everything else is free though. New cobweb chainset ready to fit. The machine needs complete degreasing, cleaning and re-lubing. Fortunately since its been in a garage for most of 40 years the corrosion is only surface and cosmetic.

P3291290_zpshkwo0g2v.jpg

Either Maillard or Atom large flange hubs. Always looked good.
P3291286_zps765yiubw.jpg

P3291284_zpsbptbsppb.jpg

Brakes etc broken down and boxed ready for cleaning and rebuilding.
P3291282_zpsxv8uflvw.jpg

One coat of Proofide...
P3291281_zpshbxxboxo.jpg

This has to go...
P3291280_zps6ahebp62.jpg

Note stuck cotter!

Re: A new project - 1973 Carlton Continental restoration

Aiming to get the bike back to this...
Carltoncontinentalscan.jpg

Not the rider though!

Forgot to add some before images, these are from the original owner...
Screen%20Shot%202015-03-29%20at%2011.28.31_zpskbgwfqsv.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-29%20at%2011.28.15_zpsqa7kgqoy.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-29%20at%2011.27.54_zpszurwrkby.png

Its a very, very attractive machine.

otherself":3puselhd said:
Lovely colour and wrapover SS. Is it 531?

No, nothing special - TI Tru-Wel I would think. :D

Back