1983 Raleigh Road Ace

Grafix

Dirt Disciple
I realise there was an earlier - frankly mind-blowing - example (Ian's) of one of these on here before. In fact that bike was the inspiration for me to find one.

This one was in a bad way when I acquired it - very chipped, rusty and badly touched in (with a stick as far as I could see). Many of the parts were similarly in a bad state and the saddle was in a total mess. However it was just about complete - which was the attraction to me since some Shimano AX parts like the bars and end caps etc are expensive/hard to get hold of. The frame was also perfectly straight and had no dents.

The final result has surprised me a bit! It looks better and rides better than I expected if I am honest and has a taught, light and silent ride quality which really appeals - can't stop riding it :) Set up well the AX gears are light and precise. The infamous brakes are as good as most late 70's stuff - but no better. (They were appalling on worn blocks mind you...)

Its not a 10/10 bike in terms of finish but I'm really pleased with it overall and it is definitely a proper 'keeper'.

I wouldn't advise Shimano AX for most people though - parts and set up are tricky and fussy compared to every other groupset I have fiddled with - makes you learn a whole load of new tricks - but that was part of the fun this time ;-)

Hope you approve of the bike!

Attachments

• IMG_5701.JPG
    IMG_5701.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 848
  • IMG_5706.JPG
    IMG_5706.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 846
  • IMG_5708.JPG
    IMG_5708.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 844
  • IMG_5710.JPG
    IMG_5710.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 846
  • IMG_5713.JPG
    IMG_5713.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 845
Re:

Thanks! :)

I don't have any proper 'before' images as to be honest when the bike arrived I was a bit deflated versus the description and I stripped it down almost immediately to start the work.

I couldn't rescue the pedals or the crankset - too scarred and rusty - but I got massively lucky with a 'display bike' almost NOS set for a good price - especially versus the la-la prices on Ebay for them. I bought the bottle and cage from Germany. Luckily the rare bars and end caps were there - as was the headset cover (not refitted yet in the photos).

Very satisfying bike to get sorted out, :) Quite unusual.

Latest posts

Back