The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Been wondering why the extended seat and head tubes rather than just raising top tube. Was thinking tall chap with short legs but short reach. Puzzled.

Any insights would be great. Thanks THM

b84fd552840e5ae90066cc038eb23933_zpslophizbi.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 910
Hi its to make larger frames less gate like making them easier to handle and hence quicker of the spot (esp advantageous for criterium racing)

Regards from all @

J.F.WILSON CYCLE MANUFACTURERS

220 CITY ROAD

SHEFFIELD

U.K.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 889
That just about sums it up :). The trend from the mid 70's to ride smaller and smaller sized frames until today it looks like they have nicked a kids bike lol

Shaun

Re:

Also must make the front end stiffer, as the steel headtube shouldn't flex as much as a raised stem.
IIRC, Buckler rider Edwig van Hooydonck had a similarly styled Colnago .
So when's your first crit History Man?

Mike

Please don't tell me its Cleethorpes seafront, that brings back some awful memories, mind you that was a kermesse lol

Shaun

Midlife":1d8cnscz said:
Please don't tell me its Cleethorpes seafront, that brings back some awful memories, mind you that was a kermesse lol

Shaun

Why? Were you all using those fantastic Wonder lights? :LOL: :LOL:

Mike

Re:

Ok, so what did you break this time? :roll: :facepalm:

Mike

My legs................time trialled off the front "a la Bayton" but my head wrote a cheque my legs couldn't cash !

Didn't come last though :D

Shaun

Re:

Hello from Switzerland,

Colnago called this style their Freuler geometry. It's named after Urs Freuler, the tall, mustachioed Swiss road and track sprinter prominent, if not dominant, in the 1980s. For quite a while, Colnago used these extended seat and head tubes on most frame sizes over 60cm.

Here is a picture of an Atala in the same style, piloted by Urs himself. If you come across one of these in 60-62cm, I'm interested.

When using a Freuler or similar frame design, make sure that the seat post is longer than usual for a road bike; many vintage/retro/classic posts aren't. I hope that the silver Deda post which The History Man ordered for his Roberts is long enough.

If the seat post does not extend down past the junction of the top tube, seat tube and seat stays, you risk bending the seat tube above the reinforced area. Colnago recommended at least 200mm of seat post inside the seat tube in their warranty fine print.

Whatever it's called, as a relatively tall guy with longer than average legs, I like it. For more information, Google search on freuler frame or freuler geometry.

Cheers,
The Kid

Attachments

• Freuler.jpg
    Freuler.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 712
Back