Vitus 992 seat post screw thread

borris4

Dirt Disciple
I am currently building up a Vitus 992 frame with 8 speed Campagnolo Chorus groupset. The thread on the aluminium lug which the seatpost grubscrew screws into appears to be partially stripped and is not gripping properly. I have the correct 25.4mm Vitus seatpost.
Any suggestions as this small problem has set me back a bit. Would using Loctite 243 or equivalent help?
Also looking for a front wheel: gold Mavic CXP30 with Campagnolo hub if anyone has one?

If it's the grub screw that's fubar'd then as finney says. If it's the frame thread you might
be able to get it helicoiled ?

Re:

Couple of photos of work so far.
Handlebars have been changed to Deda Elemnti Speciale 42.
Groupset Campagnolo Chorus 8 speed.

Attachments

• bike 3.jpg
    bike 3.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,265
  • bike 3.jpg
    bike 3.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,265
Re:

Got a bit more done today, it looks nearly finished now. The seatpost screw is holding up for the time being..
The groupset is Campagnolo Chorus 8 speed...
Handlebars are Deda Elementi Speciale, with BBB tape ( LBS does lots of BBB stuff ).
Pedals are an old pair of BBB SPDs which came on another bike but look the part..
Not many of the original transfers left, like the Mavic Equipment one. Not sure about putting on repro transfers , quite like the understated look of the bike with the bleached original Vitus transfers.
Cages are BBB (LBS again) aluminium, costing €5 each, couldn't be better.
Now to get a few kilometres under my belt on it.
Total weight as seen is exactly 10kg, 0.4kg lighter then my wife's 2014 Giant Defy 3!!

Attachments

• Bike.jpg
    Bike.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,228
  • Chainset 1.jpg
    Chainset 1.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,228
  • Chainset.jpg
    Chainset.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 1,228
  • Rear Mech.jpg
    Rear Mech.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,228
  • front mech.jpg
    front mech.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,228
  • front on.jpg
    front on.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,228
  • side on.jpg
    side on.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,228
  • Rear brake.jpg
    Rear brake.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,228
Re:

Went out today on the Vitus hoping to do about 50k, but after about 15 minutes, the saddle started to move, as the grub screw loosened due to the damaged threads. So turned around, and cycled about 1k uphill out of the saddle to a local garage to ask if they had a Helicoil kit.
No problem, but advised using Thread Sert instead. And he duly drilled out the lug, and fitted the Thread Sert.
Job done in less then 20 minutes and off on my way. Wouldn't take payment either. There are some great people out there!!
Maybe not for the purists, but a better job then the original.

Attachments

• IMG_1618.JPG
    IMG_1618.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,131
  • IMG_1620.JPG
    IMG_1620.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,130
  • IMG_1619.JPG
    IMG_1619.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,131
  • IMG_1624.JPG
    IMG_1624.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 1,131
Re:

The insert is threaded into the lug of the bike and Loctite used to secure as well. Won't budge.
Very pleased with the way the bike looks, have a 60mm stem ordered as current one is 110mm and a little bit too long.
Gearing is 52,42 with a 26,13 cassette.
As it's quite hilly here in south Carlow, I'm going to change to a 39T inner ring and 26,13 cassette. Nearly mid-compact!

Re:

Sounds like a very good fix, and at zero cost!

I de-stickered my 992 - less is more perhaps.

Know the story with the gearing, this getting older lark doesn't really fit in with retro sized chainrings! :facepalm:

Back