Concorde Aquila (Finished lots of pics on Page 3)

Maca

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
I'm thinking about buying a Concorde Aquila frame as a bit of a treat, always faniced something different to the Raleighs and Peugeots.

The one I'm looking at isn't in PDM colours but is in a nice retro scheme. It says its SLX tubeing and it has the flag.

Any adivse about these frames ? How to date them and so on.

Also how does SLX compare to the reynolds line up as this would be my 1st colombus frame.

Cheers PAul

Re:

If it's the red/white/black one that I've just seen on 'another forum' it looks like the real deal.

Concorde were a Dutch company that sold a lot of bikes and frames into Belgium. Their steel frames were made in Italy and a variety of names are bandied about including Ciocc. It is suggested that all the frames with the Italian flag were made by Ciocc, but no one has ever been able to confirm that.

The model ranges can really be confusing with Concorde, as there were times when complete bikes seemed to be made by one builder, while framesets in the same year and with the same model name looked to come from somewhere else,but, made of SLX, that Aquilla is a good'un.

I've no experience of SLX (yet) but those in the know rate it highly.

Re: Possible Concorde Aquila

By other forum do you mean lfgss? I looked at that as its about my size. Someone at work has a concord set us as a fixed and his frame really looks quite well put together. Just a shame its a "fixie". Shaun

Re:

I wasn't being coy, I was just trying not to draw too much attention to it, but yes that's the one.

Too big for me, but it's a nice one.

Hi Neil

Apologies if I came across in the wrong way. I was just wondering if it was the same one as I was pondering whether it was genuine as it seems a bargain price for what the pictures show.

I keep an eye on 70's stuff, and some people put a large premium on age! there's a Carlton track frame on the bay at at £600 quid plus £50 postage and that Concorde looks a bargain for someone...

Shaun

Re:

No need to apologise Shaun, no offence taken here.

If your watching for bargain 70's bikes, do a search for Dave Lloyd on the bay. It may be a little too new for you, but I'm pretty sure it's an Echelon (thanks to the info you recently supplied). :mrgreen:

Hi Neil

Yep, looks like a shop built Lloyd :). The search just now also threw up the concept 90 talked about on here. Classy looking frame but not sure for the rough roads around here. The Dynatech 500 is a bit bendy so not sure about the wishbone rear :)

Shaun

Re: Concorde Aquila (deal done)

Well I've done it, agreed a deal on the frame I had been looking at.

This will be my 1st Columbus frame and its a SLX :) I've seen a few in PDM colours and some in Red & Black schemes but this one just jumped out at me the colours are right up my street. And its NOS never been built.

Don't what I will be building it with yet prob either 600 ultegra or Dura Ace.

Re:

That looks like a very nice find & good to be different with something that is a little more rare.

Back