SB 4075 753 with a little story

omegastrada

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'd been after a 753 SB frame for a while now but despite being plenty about most were either over restored and/or overpriced. This one is an honest frame hiding nothing under a new.coat of paint and is exactly as it was when first painted in 87/88.

'1987/88?' I hear the purists cry when it's an approx 1981/82 frame.Well, both dates are right. This early 80s frame was originally sold to Swinnertons by the SBDU, Swinnertons being one of the few authorised affiliates Raleigh were happy to supply frames to in small numbers. Mike Mullet has confirmed this to be the case with the previous owner. It was supplied to Swinnertons in primer where it ended up hanging from a wall in their workshops until it was bought it in 87/88 by the first owner. It was then sent to Mercian for finishing, including the chrome plating, then built up with 6400 Ultegra and hardly used since. The STIs were a later edition which I may well swap out for proper downtube levers, mostly because the STIs are so darn ugly!

Anyway, I'm really pleased to have an SBDU that's just a little bit different to the many unquantified and overpriced team reps being sold by chancers on ebay these days.

Bring on the summer!

Attachments

• DSC_0743-picsay.JPG
    DSC_0743-picsay.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,994
  • DSC_0741-picsay.JPG
    DSC_0741-picsay.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 1,994
  • DSC_0734-picsay.JPG
    DSC_0734-picsay.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 1,994
  • DSC_0735-picsay.JPG
    DSC_0735-picsay.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 1,994
  • DSC_0737-picsay.JPG
    DSC_0737-picsay.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 1,995
  • DSC_0730-picsay.JPG
    DSC_0730-picsay.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 1,994
Re: SB 4795 753 with a little story

That's really nice, pleased that you got sorted (I'm still looking after SB7870).
The chrome fork adds an unusual extra touch, very rare, perhaps unique.
Was the internal cable routing done by Mercian?
I've seen a few with internal cables and always assumed the work was done later because they were all repaints.

Thats a lovely bike. I didnt know Raleigh made frames for other people to paint and decal. One question, I understand what you mean by over priced but what do you mean by over restored?

Thanks bedraggled and thanks also for doing a grand job with SB7870 - I knew it would be in good hands.

There's another link as it happens, I bought this from the guy you won your 753 team pro from on ebay. What a lovely guy and such a knowledgeable collector too.
I'm guessing the internal cable work was done by Mercian when it was painted, as was the front mech braze-on. I didn't ask but can find out for sure. I somehow doubt Raleigh would have done it on a 753 top tube but perhaps it was an option.
I had the usual chat about fear of hydrogen embrittlement caused by the chrome plating. The seller is friends with Arthur Needham (Argos cycles and metallurgist) who assured him it's OK as long as the frame is meticulously prepared and then baked afterward to help any stray hydrogen particles escape. Pinholes in the brazing are ideal places for hydrogen gasses to enter steel however on a quality frame built by Britain's finest, this is unlikely or at least minimised.

When I say over restored I mean more unsympathetic restoration. Paint so thick and glossy it hides the detailed lug shorelines, often completely wrong shades of red used on team frages, that kind of thing. To me, patina is everything and if it must be given new paint then it should be done as kindly as possible.

Then there are the people who spray their frames at home in '18ct gold' paint and ask £495 for it... I'm sure some folk know which ebay frame I'm referring too.

For reasons I never had a good explanation for EG Bates seemed to be able to lay their hands on all sorts of Raleigh frames, also if push came to shove Raleigh Five Star Dealers could pull a few strings :)

Shaun

Just needs some ilkeston ovals. Looks a really nice and unique frame, great story.

Latest posts

Back