Late 1990's 853 Brigg built Claud Butler

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Roll back nearly 6 years (six???!!! WTF!) and I had scored this tidy baby, built it up and the damn thing was too small...

It was in exceptional condition and as NOS roadie parts didnt require a remortgage at the time, I'd managed to build it up with some pretty good spec parts:

file.php

file.php

file.php

So anyway, these 853 frames had appeared just as steel was going out of fashion. Aluminium and carbon were muscling in leaving steel shed bound for a few years. So, £899 in 1997 got you one of these rather tasty frames with RX100 itching to be removed and replaced immediately by DA or at least Ultegra. The ideal upgrade path of the day - buy a decent frame and upgrade the drivetrain later.

viewtopic.php?p=1344080

file.php

Why am I babbling on? Because I've just scored another one, in blue and white as above and its in my size. Although, how on earth I'm going to put it together, I dont know!

656 version looks identical

$_57.JPG

Updates later.

Re: Late 1990's 853/653 Taiwan frames

And its here!

Not too bad condition - drivetrain is 400EX which leads me to believe that its been transposed off an older frame as these frames came later.

First impression was how light it was when trying to stuff it into the car.

Pics soon, depending on when I get home.

Re: Late 1990's 853/653 Taiwan frames

Very nice frame, I had one which was too small for me, would have no qualms about having another in my size, I'd probably bung modern kit on it and ride it lots.

Re: Late 1990's 853/653 Brigg built Claud Butler

Turns out these were made in Brigg. So there.

Anyway, chainset and BB off. Chainset is scrap after some thread pulling and hot grinder action boiled the BB dry. The same heat helped what looked to be a pig of a job into a quick twist of the spanner and out it came.

Parts assembling

Frame is as above, blue on white sooo:

Hipster brown saddle or tired scuffed black with stitched writing Flite?

Hipster brown bar tape or blue/yellow splatter 90's style bar tape?

tape_blu_ylw.jpg

file.php

Oh, good work. Right size and nicer colours.

But there;s no way the yellow and white one was six years ago... is there? :eek:

Back