2003 Klein Q-Carbon Team -> now in fixed gear mode

Konsta

Retro Guru
Hello everyone!

This is where it starts. A beautiful 2003 Klein Q-Carbon Team frame.

1z39oid.jpg

The frame photographed in the sunny Vienna.

Unfortunately, that is where it ends. The previous owner found nasty cracks in the downtube around the bottle cage bosses. Fortunately a frame repair company here in Finland was willing and able to heal the frame.

vmrcav.jpg

Before.

m96lcn.jpg

After.

Cracks were now gone but so was the lovely original paint job.
Going for a full on glitter and candy fade type of paint is quite expensive. So the owner decided to ask around if someone would want to buy the frame from him. I did.
The frame is going to be resprayed. Unfortunately I have no funds for a proper Klein paint job either, so it's going to be a simple one color glossy finish. Frame is now at the paint shop. It could take a while before I get it back. It was a very cheap deal so rushing the painter is out of the question.

sowb68.jpg

This is how the frame looked with a coat of primer and a bit of sanding.

-

I have almost all of the parts ready for this. It's going to be a strange mix of old and new. But mainly Campy and mainly silver.

s0vfjl.jpg

Ritchey Classic stem (100mm) and Classic Curve bars (40 cm c-c). Got rid of the logos but the markings on the front plate sit tight.

2zg9q4z.jpg

Front wheel has a 28H vintage Campagnolo Nuovo Record Strada hub and a Mavic Open S.U.P. CD Ceramic rim.

2yy14lu.jpg

Rear hub is a 32 H Novatec F272SB. It was moderately priced and light enough. The rim is Mavic Open Pro CD Ceramic.

35m1nir.jpg

The spokes are all DT Swiss Revos (2.0/1.5 mm) with alloy nipples. Veloflex Master tyres (23-622) with Michelin Latex tubes.

2co61vq.jpg

Cranks are a mixed set: Campy Nuovo/Super Record drive side, left crank is a noname copy. Both are 172.5 mm.

2dt27gx.jpg

The cassette is Campy Chorus (11-23T) with a Taiwanese alloy lock ring.

2962l5f.jpg

These are Tektro R740 brake calipers.

2ykgjyc.jpg

Record 10-speed ergos.

ta33a0.jpg

Record Titanium 10-speed rear mech.

Re:

I like the look of this! Will be interesting to see how such a mix of parts works together :)

-

Thanks, foz!

I think the wheels will look good, even though the hubs aren't matching. Both hubs look classic enough in my opinion. I don't think the difference between old Campy front hubs and the newer silver ones is that big, aesthetics-wise.

The part that will look most out-of-place are the cranks I think. But what can you do. I'm on a kind of a tight budget here.
(I do have an extra pair of Dura-Ace 7410 cranks and to be honest they probably would look better as they have more of a modern design to them. But I just can't bring myself to mix Campy and Shimano parts on the same bike. And those old Campy cranks only weigh a feathery 410 g. That's crazy light!)

Re: 2003 Klein Q-Carbon Team -> Project started

Oh yeah!

148jknd.jpg

Frame and fork, back from paint shop. The bare frame weighs 1285g. The fork is made by Edge Composites.
Weight is 365g so I guess this is the same model as the current Enve 2.0.

35andky.jpg

The geo chart (based on a Klein 2003 catalogue).

Re: 2003 Klein Q-Carbon Team -> Frame painted

It's going to look like the neutral mavic bikes from the tour :LOL:

are you going to add something more to the frame?

Re: 2003 Klein Q-Carbon Team -> Frame painted

I'm thinking of white Klein logos (90's style) on the down tube. Maybe the model name on the top tube too.

Re: 2003 Klein Q-Carbon Team -> Frame now painted!

Took a few pics in natural light. It's glossy!

200wqx3.jpg

1t66uu.jpg

i3tdsy.jpg

2kpht0.jpg

2ynrvb8.jpg

Re: 2003 Klein Q-Carbon Team -> Frame now painted!

Nice bike

I am thinking about upgrading my Klein to carbon levers etc

Back