Cannondale CAAD3 Team Saeco

Bartolini

Dirt Disciple
I picked this bike up a couple of weeks ago. It may be a bit modern to be retro, but I couldn't pass it up at £50. Besides, who doesn't want to be the Mario Cipollini of their bikegroup? It's an aluminum frame with a carbon fork and according to the framenumber its made in 1997. It has a mix of different parts:

Brake/gear-levers: Dura-ace
Brakes: Dura-ace
Front derailleur: Ultegra
Rear derailleur: Shimano 105
Stem: Coda
Handlebar: Cinelli
Seatpost: Coda
Saddle: Selle Italia
BB/Crankarms: Coda 900
Wheels: Spinergy Rev-X

The Coda BB/crank are new to me, but they seem to be in good shape. I've had a hard time finding much info about them online (other than its Cannondale's own brand), so if anyone has any experience with these i would love to get your opinion.

Then there's the wheelset. As far as i can tell, they have no visible cracks. But reading about them has made me a bit concerned. Do they get brittle over time and is it safest to get a new set? Any experience with these are much appreciated.

Attachments

• Retrobike caad3.jpg
    Retrobike caad3.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 3,554
£50!!!!
You lucky man! That is lovely, not sure on the wheels, not really my kind of thing but £50. WOW
Ride and enjoy that was the deal of the year I think, the brakesets worth more than that :)

Jamie

I know, i was really surprised when the asking price was that low. The guy i bought it from had moved on to carbonframed bikes and needed to clear some space in the garage for his passion - restoring Vespas. Just goes to show that it's worth it to always have an add out for "older road bikes wanted" :)

Re:

You got a whole lot of bike for your £50 !

Welcome to the forum mate ;)

Coda was original equipment on a lot of Cannondales, both road and mtb. Not bad either from my own experience. I know nothing about the wheels characteristics though. I would sell them and get something nicer looking on instead, but that's only my opinion

Enjoy riding it, that's the main thing

Mike

Re:

I would sell them and get something nicer looking on instead

You men like these?? :roll:

I don't like the look of the wheels either, so I'm leaning towards selling them. Either way, the stem is frozen so I have some time to think about it!

Attachments

• cipollini.jpg
    cipollini.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 3,535
Congratulation @Bartolini you have built up a really beautiful bike. This bike was a Milestone, first time the famous Italian back of Mario ... on a American bike.

I had a similar project to built up a 1995/6 Saeco CAD3 but not finished yet.

I am not sure but intend to built it with Spinergy rev-x or Ambrosio and Coda hubs
here some pics of the parts an componets incl. the original frame-Stickers and Cinelli macrosplash tape

Really this Coda Motorcycle 900R crankset was difficult to find in completeness. But it was the first Hollotech crankset. It is absolute light, lighter than modern cranks.

Attachments

• Saeco_CAD3_01.jpg
    Saeco_CAD3_01.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 3,541
  • Saeco_CAD3_02.jpg
    Saeco_CAD3_02.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 3,539
  • Saeco_CAD3_03.jpg
    Saeco_CAD3_03.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 3,539
I used to love these bikes, a bike team also sponsored by coffee machines, just right! The wheels shouldn't give you any trouble , they fell out of favour as they were dangerous in bunch pile ups, I had a couple of close shaves myself in the nineties, but they are bang on period and reasonably quick, I wouldn't swap them as the bike won't look as good without the blocky wheels go with the blocky frame, however if you do sell them i'll give you £50.01 so you make a profit, should get over £250 at least if you sell :) Also keep the Coda, don't sell its top notch and light, and swap out the front and rear mechs for Dura Ace, enjoy

Thank you for the insight on the wheels and Coda components. I am on the lookout for Dura Ace front and rear mech to complete the set. Short supply in Norway, but hopefully I'll find a good deal online. Allthough shipping often exceeds the asking price...

Bartolini":1knikhkv said:
Thank you for the insight on the wheels and Coda components. I am on the lookout for Dura Ace front and rear mech to complete the set. Short supply in Norway, but hopefully I'll find a good deal online. Allthough shipping often exceeds the asking price...

Try eBay France, Australia, Italy for Dura Ace, or ask us here, I don't have any but Im sure someone could help
Cheers Darren

Back