Not a '70's Moser, But Now a Dead One

Skynet

Senior Retro Guru
Just bought a Moser, being sent tomorrow. Pretty Dinky 49cm with 51cm top tube, although the seat tube doesn't really extend so guess it's like a 51.

Not sure what model it is yet but it has full Super Record. Will have to do some more googling this afternoon and try and work out the model and year.

It's very, very dirty, or as the seller said original and not restored. Hopefully not too much is worn out.

Looks to be totally chromed underneath and the paint is metallic looking but not with a flake, like the metallic paper look.

Other than the groupset it has:
Cinelli 1 something stem, I think
Cinelli 65-38 Criterium bars
Sella Iscaselle saddle, fairly ugly thing
Nisi rims, clinchers by the looks of it

The paint's not in great shape, especially on the non-drive side top tube, but will sort out everything else before thinking about what to do with that. With it being chromed it's not such a rush.

The plan is two versions, drop and flat, with flat being the default. Easy to swap between the two with two sets of bars, stems, levers and probably cables.

Not bought a complete bike for quite a while so it's nice not having to search for all the parts. So basically wait for it to turn up, clean, polish and I'm done, yeah right!

Off to google and make up my shopping list of obvious things now, like clips and tape.

UPDATE: The seller said it was a custom build, I presume he means kit not frame. But that probably explains why I can find a match in the catalogues.

UPDATE 2: The rear mech says Pat.81 so some time travel was involved.

Attachments

• Shifters.jpg
    Shifters.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,368
  • Fork-crown.jpg
    Fork-crown.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,368
  • Bottom-Bracket.jpg
    Bottom-Bracket.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,368
  • Bars-and-stem.jpg
    Bars-and-stem.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,368
  • Moser-of-some-sort.jpg
    Moser-of-some-sort.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 1,369
Re: '70's Moser something.

The frame hasn't a headbadge and Moser graphics aren't exactly exciting anyway. So I did a simple, perhaps equally boring, freehand design on copper. Yeah he hadn't set the hour record yet but it looked a bit empty with just an M!

Needs a bit more tidying up but it will do until I think up a better design. Was also the first time I'd worked on metal so was good practice. I'll either add a patina with liver of sulphur or lacquer it.

Attachments

• Badge.jpg
    Badge.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 1,290
Re: '70's Moser something.

Some tidying up and a bit of patina. it looks a bit more copper in proper light. It's only 35mm wide so imperfections don't really show, especially when it gets fixed to the frame.

Attachments

• Badge-Done.jpg
    Badge-Done.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,280
Re: '70's Moser

That is great a lovely bike, the frame should be very sound with full chrome so many choices if you choose to refinish but the original patina would be best in my opinion as its a complete find, campyoldy on the web has the NOS toeclips that you need for a sensible price and would finish it off, also there are a few repro gum hoods out there with either the shield or globe on them. Only thing I would check is the bottom bracket axle when you strip it, try a magnet on it, if it doesn't stick its the real titanium super record one, not the best in its day, ask the late Laurant Fignon who snapped one in paris roubaix I think. I would change for a steel one as a precaution. As a final bling you could add leather covering, I've been dying to share my efforts on my Rossin Super Record. Good luck and share when its done :)

Attachments

• unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,195
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,195

Thanks. Tracking says that it has just left Italy so with a bit of luck will be here on Wednesday.

Already bought some NOS Record clips, decided against alloy, but not decided on which straps yet, need to know other colours first. The hoods look to be in OK condition, but hard to tell for sure from the photos.

Was going to go for leather tape but I'm going to first try shellacked cork tape finished with cord rather than tape then rubbed down with wire wool. Saw it in a blog and it looked good. Red frame with white tape and cables, like yours, always looks smart though.

From the looks of it the top tube's the worst but as it hasn't any decals might be fairly easy to get sorted. It just uses a coloured clear coat, which gives it the metallic look and probably why it's a fragile finish, not sure how easy that is to colour match but will find out.

I'll check the axle, although I'm used to wanting ti rather than getting rid of it!

Looking forward to cleaning and polishing and hoping there aren't any nasty surprises.

All sounds good, the chrome clips are much better so good choice. Really the axles are not worth risking, the guy who runs campyoldy used to run a bike shop and he also warned me off, they soon changed for steel on super record after I think. The clear coat lacquer will come off clean without damaging the chrome, and decals are easy enough to source. The campag from that era as you might know is bomb proof, everything can be dismantled and cleaned, really worth fully stripping the brakes as they work extremely well when cleaned and oiled even if they are lacking in modulation. One point don't put the rear mech in degreasant as they can seize, I rendered a record mech nearly useless doing that, but a toothbrush and muckoff works well. Also Binda straps are so expensive, Christophe are ok and you can get new in brown, white and black for a tenner, we all used to use the tan coloured ones as they don't get grubby, toe strap buttons are worthwhile sourcing too. Please pm if you want links advice etc looks a nice and pointy angle on the head tube should make for a responsive ride, enjoy :)

Thanks for the tips. The plan is to give it a ride to make sure there's nothing wayward and decide if 38 bars are OK (sound a bit narrow). Then strip it down and go through each part in turn. I like shiny so going to do some polishing.

I know neither the seatpost or stem are seized as I saw the photos of it being packed, so 2 possible problems out of the way, plenty more possible ones to go.

It has just arrived, not bad considering it was only sent on Friday from Italy.

Was happy as nothing had much wear, not even the rims (Nisi HS22's) or brake blocks. The only component wear is the decal missing from the back of the saddle. The hoods are fine but are Modolo's, not a big deal. Tyres are OK, Vittoria Georgias, but I won't be trusting them.

But there always seems to be a "but". Might be a decent size but or nothing however with my luck...

He said and showed photos of where he's touched up the paint on the top tube, opaque red rather than coloured clear. It looked OK if amateur. Looking and feeling it now it's here I've a feeling it might be to cover up crash damage. The down tube seems fine. In theory it might just be paint runs. Will strip the paint off as soon as I can and check.

Back