Vintage Claude Butler...unknown model/year

Markedgr

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I have a lovely old Claude Butler about which i can seem to find absolutely nothing!

I have looked at various sites, previous posts, catalogue reprints from the alte 30's through early 50's and can find nothing which resembles my bike.

In every case, the frame angles apear wrong, the lugs are of a totally different desgn and/or there are other significant differences.

I acquired the bike some time ago from the son on the previous (second owner) who had a large collection of vintage bikes; including several Ordinarys. The Claude was reputed to be his favourite riding bike; which i can understand because it is also my favourite riding bike from a collection of 40+...ncluding quite a few much more 'exotic' models.

The previous owner bought it in the late 50's and had it re-enamelled in the early 60's; at which time other components were changed...brakes, handlebars, mudguards, etc. Since acquiring it, i have only changed the saddle and saddle clip.

The bike has a series of 3 numbers on the bottom bracket...alll very clearly and well defined:

83 (stamped from the 'rear')
81238 (stamped from front and closest to centrline)
6958 (stamped from front and immediately 'forward' of the above number).

These numbers are repeated on the fork steerer tube, together with some initials.

Normally, i would say that this dated the bike to either '38 or '48 ( or '36 or '46) and i would then say that from the general features, i would date it to the '40's rather than the 30's.

My problem is that the bike seems to correspond to no model i can find from either decade!

The bike has strange 'lugs' which are of very odd undefined shape and which are so thin i feel they must be bilams rather than conventional lugs. Fork crown is chromed as are lower legs and half chain and seatstays (original chrome...fabulous quality!)

Seat and chainstays are very fine with scalloped tops to seat stays. Binder bolt is normal type fitting...not clamp. Dropouts are 'Continental' type to rear.

General quality of brazing and construction is very, very good indeed.

I would estimate angles as 71/2 seat and 73/4 head...it rides like a quality lightweight from the 70's. Tubing is 531 double butted.

I have attached one general photo of the bike but have lots more available.

Any thoughts on the bike/model/year would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• Claud Butler 2.JPG
    Claud Butler 2.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 759
Re:

Hi, I would agree with you about dating, it looks late 40's so Jan 1948 looks about right ( 81238 ). The CB dropouts were available from 1939 ( late 1938 ? ), so this again points to 48, when this dropout was at its most popular. As far as models are concerned, there's not a lot of catalogue info post war, and the lugs don't appear to be the usually CB suspects, but from what I've seen ( don't quote me ), this lug set was used quite a lot in the 40's by frame builders, after the war, frame builders just used what they could get hold of, so just enjoy it, a classic bike from a golden age. Terry

Thanks Terry, It certainly gets well used and is an absolute joy to ride. It's amazingly lively for such an old bike...probably helped by very lightweight spokes and ASP rims with skinny 1'' tyres. It's a bit high geared for where i live (55 thro' 9:cool: but the old alloy shelled SA works perfectly and the drivetrain is great....some kind of forged alloy chainring matched to a weird bottom bracket with strange shaped hollow axle and bath tub shaped 'cotter pins'...it looks odd but works brilliantly! Regards, Mark

Re:

Somewhat confused as to if this bike is for sale. first dibs if it is. and a price please. :D

Re:

Hi Peetee,

No, not for sale...but i'll let you know if i ever change my mind.

Just trying to find out what the heck it is!

Cheers, Mark

Back