Cuevas Vitus 181 and a question...

Mr.Toad

Senior Retro Guru
Posting pictures of my new winter project, a Vitus tubed Cuevas.

Frame and fork are in fantastic shape, a couple of paint blems but overall it looks great! Interesting (to me) that many of the frame tubes are stamped with Vitus tubing numbers; V.181 on the down and seat tube, V.172 on the fork blades. I've been unable to read any markings on the dropouts, Gieppieme? I haven't be able to locate a serial number.

Build is going to need some thought but i'm keeping a few of what I feel are appropriate parts like the Zeus wheels (radially laced to Super Champion tubular rims), Omas headset, and Simplex shifters. Everything else seems to be of a later date?

This brings up my first question. Is there a way to date the frame based on construction details? I would like to be able to replace the newer parts with period specific if possible, and my wallet allows.

My guess right now is late 70's build?

Attachments

• Cuevas10.jpg
    Cuevas10.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,182
  • Cuevas8.jpg
    Cuevas8.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,183
  • Cuevas6.jpg
    Cuevas6.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,184
  • Cuevas5.jpg
    Cuevas5.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,184
  • Cuevas4.jpg
    Cuevas4.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,183
  • Cuevas3.jpg
    Cuevas3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,183
  • Cuevas2.jpg
    Cuevas2.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,185
  • Cuevas1.jpg
    Cuevas1.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 1,183
Re:

Additional information on F. Cuevas

Francesco Cuevas, originally from Spain, was a citizen of the world until he came to settle New York City in the 1960's. He was known to build his frames in the Old World style, that is to say using brass rod for brazing rather than the new fangled Silver "solder" and forsaking a jig, but "using the eye". Nonetheless, his work had an artist's flare and appeal. Francisco Cuevas has retired to Barcelona, Spain, with his wife and daughter. His son, Andreas, continues the tradition.

Attachments

• 1983 photo.jpg
    1983 photo.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,176
Re:

Upon closer inspection, with my Mr.Magoo glasses and flashlight, I was able to id the dropouts, Super Vitus front and rear. Very cool! I suppose this dates the frame to the late 70's.

I've also located a set of Stronglight 93's which I think will be a nice choice.

Attachments

• S93.jpg
    S93.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,071
  • SV.jpg
    SV.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,072
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 1,072
the Super Vitus tubing which did bear the number 971 and 980 were actually presented at the "Salon du Cycle" in Paris

The SuperVitus 971 in 1971 the SV 980 in 1980

I strongly suspect the double butted midrange tubing 172 and 181 were following the same pattern. so 1972 and 1981 ( one year latter than the upper range tubing )

Quite often, around these dates, you could find frames using both tubesets

So if your decals are correct, not a great surprise and as you suspect , the frame could be 1981 or 1982 using some Supervitus rear dropouts.
Its sometimes possible to see the engraving of the tube spec on the tube itself but it is light and very often masqued by the paint

bduc61":1uxntevd said:
the Super Vitus tubing which did bear the number 971 and 980 were actually presented at the "Salon du Cycle" in Paris

The SuperVitus 971 in 1971 the SV 980 in 1980

I strongly suspect the double butted midrange tubing 172 and 181 were following the same pattern. so 1972 and 1981 ( one year latter than the upper range tubing )

Quite often, around these dates, you could find frames using both tubesets

So if your decals are correct, not a great surprise and as you suspect , the frame could be 1981 or 1982 using some Supervitus rear dropouts.
Its sometimes possible to see the engraving of the tube spec on the tube itself but it is light and very often masqued by the paint

Thank you for the excellent information! Given your insight and what appears to be the original shifters/headset the bike certainly points to the early 80's.

Latest posts

Back