what year Claud Butler?

royaloaker

Devout Dirtbag
p4pb11070288.jpg
p4pb11070287.jpg
p4pb11070313.jpg
p4pb11070310.jpg
anyone recognize the frame age?zerk fittings at the headtube + BB, transfer head badge??? frankenbuild w/super record,27" mavics.

I cannot give any info about the frame, but it looks superb, with fantastic lug work. The Campag rear mech cable tunnel looks great, too.

Frame looks to be much older than the parts which are a mix of mid eighties Shimano, Campagnolo and Weinmann. Maybe mid 50s for the frame?

Pretty certain it's a 1950s frame and, as Lewis said, a lot of those components don't belong with it.

It's not a lugged frame. It's got dummy lugs to take up the non-standard frame angles and tubes, with fillet brazing. It made a much stronger frame. There's quite a bit about it on the Classic Lightweights site:

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... ncent.html

Re:

no Shimano,double BB oilers,head tube oiler,headset pinch bolt.serial # on the BB; 809936- maybe a 1936 model??? thanks for the link-lots of info,the man was quite a builder of bikes back in the day. note the zerk oiler on this late '30s Butler.

Attachments

• 30's claud butler.JPG
    30's claud butler.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 778
Re:

thanks for the compliment but cyclart deserves a lot of credit.was a mixed bag of bits before I did an 80's era remake.would be nice to know what model & year the basis is.have come to appreciate the make more with all the info this site has contributed.unknown brand here in the US.Happy Holidays.

Re:

Hi, Nice frame, I've seen that colour scheme somewhere before. The serial number would point to it being 1938 or 1948, which is an nightmare as the forties are a nightmare to date, but my gut feel based on angles, top of the seat stay, the grease nipple in the headstock, and the sweeping fork that it is a 1938 but !!! Terry

Back