Recent purchase

S1m0nR

Old School Hero
Hello all,

Thought I'd share a recent purchase with you as it's a beaut! It's the lightest steel bike I've handled for quite a while, thanks to the lovely late Raleigh 531c frame but also the fact that everything else which could be made by Campagnolo is - it appears to have a complete late 1980's Campagnolo groupset, Cinelli stem/bars - just a shame that they've been cut down.

The chap who bought it new and built it up was a pretty rare and amazing man, being involved with pioneering RADAR in WW2, and sadly passed away this year. He obviously had very good taste in bikes ;-)

Re: Recent purchase: 1989 Raleigh 531c Luxe

Hi Ian,

Not sure - they say 'Patent Campagnolo' on them so they're certainly Campag, but not sure if they're track pedals.

I've just spent a while reading your thread about the Road Ace - good work, that's a lovely machine! Very similar frame to this by the looks of it and from that Raleigh sweet spot in the late 1980's.

I rescued a frame identical to your RRA from the dump a couple of years ago and made this with it:

It'll probably end up back as a Road Ace again some day, but for now it's a super fast, super light fixie.

This is how it looked when I found it:

Those pedals have no quill so are Pista (Track) pedals, since they are black they could either have steel or titanium axles........

After my time but a cracking find :D

Shaun

It's the Victory groupset. For 100 squids it's a bargain!!

Like the colours on the respray by the way, very Gulf sportscar!

The Campag track pedals are worth a few bob so look after them.

Get a magnet and see if it sticks to the axle, if it doesn't it's got Titanium axles.

My Road Ace is a 12 which had the Shimano 600AX 12 speed full groupset on it and some of the frame braze ons was altered/removed to match the AX parts.

I think your frame is the Raleigh Corsa from 1984, just as good as mine though ;)

Re:

Triomphe, not Victory I reckon. Rear mech for Victory has the white jockey wheels.

Great find, lovely paint, Merry Christmas etc. ;)

I think you could be right about the rear mech being a Triomphe (looking at the pivot bolts) but the chainset is defo Victory. Personally I'd sell the pedals for lots of money and replace with Victory style along with the seatpost and brake levers, I'd also stick a Turbo saddle and drop bars on it to complete the picture.

It's a lovely bike and at that price I'm quite envious!

Ian Raleigh":t1y16w62 said:
The Campag track pedals are worth a few bob so look after them.

Get a magnet and see if it sticks to the axle, if it doesn't it's got Titanium axles.

My Road Ace is a 12 which had the Shimano 600AX 12 speed full groupset on it and some of the frame braze ons was altered/removed to match the AX parts.

I think your frame is the Raleigh Corsa from 1984, just as good as mine though ;)
I agree - the Road Ace AX definitely had a different routing for the rear mech cable, and the boss for the gear levers was on the top of the down tube, not a boss each side.

Latest posts

Back