Dump find of the Month! 1975 Dave Moulton Track Bike...

MartyP

Dirt Disciple
As a local recycler of bicycles, I am lucky enough to constantly find interesting and rare machines in the local dumps, but this week has yielded something a bit more special I think...

As a frame under a pile of wheels lurking behind a 60s Claud Butler, was, what turned out to be a 1975 Dave Moulton Track Bike in it's original gold metallic finish!

Two of the wheels were indeed, from the machine and so, apart from a fixed cog and the tubular tyres - was complete - Campy 2-bolt Record Post, Selle Italia Condor Saddle, Cinelli Stem & Giro Bars, Campy Record Pista Crankset, Record Large Flange Hubs in 27" Daisy Tub Rims, Spanish Pista Pedals and the ensemble was complete - more or less...

The un-drilled frame and forks are in their original gold paint but apart form the 'age' marks in the metallic finish, seems to be little used really...

Dave Moulton is in California these days (lucky sod!) but has a great resource and blog on it bikes online so was instantly able tell the age from the 4-character frame number - which is nice!

So just got to get some 27" tan-wall tubs and she'll be ridable although it's far too small for me - it's a titchy 50cm / 19.5"...

Cheers all!

Attachments

• DM M552 1.jpg
    DM M552 1.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 6,337
  • DM M552 11.jpg
    DM M552 11.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 6,337
  • DM M552 9.jpg
    DM M552 9.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 6,336
  • DM M552 4.jpg
    DM M552 4.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 6,337
:shock: what is the wheel base please .i reckon that is the saddle they used on a lot of koga's
can you tell me please would a track bike handle differently to a path racer ?

oonaff":2fgu1tk0 said:
:shock: what is the wheel base please .i reckon that is the saddle they used on a lot of koga's
can you tell me please would a track bike handle differently to a path racer ?

In my experience, a path racer tends to longer and more standard in geometry and the older ones tend to have both gears and fixed hub arrangements to ride to the event, flip the wheel, do the event, then ride home again... a lot of my 50's Claud Bulters have this facility...

The Dave Moulton, on the other hand is a short 37 1/4" wheelbase and has a very steel seat tube angle bringing the rider's weight forward.

Cheers

Re: Re:

Diamant_Don":2yc23f13 said:
What a fantastic find! What's your plan for it? :)
Not sure yet, it's very rare so probably hang onto it for a bit and get it up and running - shame it's far too small - would be a great girlfriend bike!!

Cheers

mm bit like 70/s tt bikes ? thats interesting cheers.mind you its a small frame.
i guess its no good checking out your re cyclery cause youve knabbed all the best stuff :xmas-cool:

Re:

:shock: you found that at the tip?? WOW

I'll have to pop down to mine one day and see if they'll let me have 'owt bike related or sell me anything.

Love the bike. Never done track riding but since finding out that there is an outside velodrome in York, a mere 20 miles from me, I've been itching to give it a go.

Re:

The Dave Moulton, on the other hand is a short 37 1/4" wheelbase and has a very steel seat tube angle bringing the rider's weight forward.

I distinctly remember an issue of 'the comic', almost certainly 1975, or '76, in which there was a article/interview with Dave Moulton, more or less about the subject of frame geometry for female/diminutive riders. His solution, which I guess at the time was novel enough to merit such an article/interview in the first place, was to steepen the seat tube angle beyond what was then customary to achieve a shorter top tube. IIRC this bike could easily be the one featured in that article.

Back