1976 Bruce Gordon Criterium

kohl57@yahoo.com

Old School Hero
One of the real prizes in my collection is this 1976 Criterium model by the famous American framebuilder Bruce Gordon... one of the pioneers of custom framebuilding in the USA in the 1970s and still very much in business.

This frame, built of heavier gauge Reynolds 531 for added stiffness in a large frame size, was built in December 1976, the first year Bruce Gordon was in business for himself. The frame details such as the external stiffening front fork tangs and beautifully filed and asymmetrically drilled lugs and his exclusive hidden seat bolt stays and fishmouth fork ends are exquisitely rendered. The shocking "Pepto Pink" remains the BG house colour.

Built up with 1st generation Campagnolo Super Record, early Super Champion black anodised rims and 3ttt stem and bars, this was modelled after the Bruce Gordon bikes for the New York cycle show of the period. Despite the heavier gauge tubing, the whole machine tips the scales at just 20.8 lbs. Angles are criterium stiff at 75/74 with a high bb for cornering. Handling is sublime... I LOVE this bike!

Lots more photos and full details/specs here:

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/286349/album/407131?view=2

Attachments

• 7-1977.JPG
    7-1977.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 1,056
  • 1-IMG_4978.JPG
    1-IMG_4978.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 1,055
  • 1-IMG_5013.JPG
    1-IMG_5013.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 1,053
Re:

Okay, so it took a few minutes for my eyes to adjust to the paint scheme ;) but now I'm attuned I really love that detailing.

Can't beat that kind of attention to detail!

Nice :D My era is the 70's with all that drilling but before aero started :D Nothing wrong with pink, my 70's road bike was Giro D'Italia pink :)

It has allen Key brakes and what look like Campag 1010 dropouts, is it a bit later ?

Shaun

Re:

I have a copy of the actual build sheet from Bruce Gordon for this... definitely December 1976. And yes, very very forward looking with the recessed bolt brakes etc.

Amazing you still have the build sheet - most of us on here have to take educated guesses about our bikes. I'd love to see the original build sheet for my 80s racer. :)

Latest posts

Back