Claud Butler Frame from which year?

Chris770099

Dirt Disciple
Can anybody help me date my Claud Butler frame?
What I do know is that it has Axe Bi-laminate 'lugs' and that these lugs were generally used on the Avant Coureur from 1947 to 1951 and on the New All Rounder from 1952 to 1956.The Frame has Simplex drop-outs and not the fluted top to the seat stays but a limited wrap over.
The frame numbers on the bottom of the BB are 883 099 and then 15604.
Here are a couple of pics.
I think the Alatete headset was pretty universal throughout the 1950s and will not help answer my question. Thanks in anticipation.

Attachments

• photo 7.JPG
    photo 7.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,066
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,066
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,066
Re:

Hi Terry, I thought that the first 8 would possibly signify 1948 as opposed to 1958 (becuase Holdsworth did not make any Bi-Lams). What I did not say is that all 4 drop outs are Simplex and I just cannot see why anybody would change all 4... Furthermore, the Avant Coureur was not infact in the Claud Butler Catalogue for 1948... but there is a suggestion that it ACs may have still been made in 1948. I agree that the seat cluster is nearer the 1950 AC.. see my other frame... but it is not identical.
So, if we are right, were these Simplex ends available in 1948? I would like to know so that I can get the correct transfers. I am also going to get the Nitromors out this weekend and see if the frame was infact fully chromed. A good project to avoid Xmas shopping! Chris

Attachments

• AC 1950.JPG
    AC 1950.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,030
Re:

Hi Chris, don't forget, the 1949 catalogue was probably produced late in 1948 for the Bike shows at the end of 1948. Also there is a 'Cycling' magazine test of an Avant Coureur in 1947, that was really an Sporting Anglais, but by 1948 the axes had appeared, so I think its a safe bet. As far as dropouts are concerning, you'll have to dig, but as a possible reason, the original owner may of filed the original dropouts to fit some fancy continental ( non imperial ) wheels, just a thought. Terry

Terry,
would you agree that the date on my Avant Coureur (the patina duck egg blue frame in the last photo) is January 1950? CB frame #993 501

Incidentally the varnish has lost its nature on this frame and after I sand it back I get to the clean paint. Any tips for removing old varnish without damaging the paint?

Chris

Re:

Hi, yes, I believe the 501 points to Jan 1950, are you collecting Avant Coureur's ? Now cleaning the frame requires patience, what I do is try the gentle approach first, i.e. gentle detergents, car wax, nothing abrasive to start with. With solvents its the same approach, be careful as solvents can take the paint off as well. Try some white spirit in a corner to start with, meths might be worth a go after that, but don't let it linger on the frame, be gentle and quick, slowly take the layers off. You're the one doing it , so you'll have to gauge what is going on with the paint, good luck. Terry

not really just ACs, but as you probably gathered from earlier posts, got Saxons and CBs. (I like the very original 1930s Saxon on ebay at moment but will not be tempted!)
on the frame... Only thing have found really works is Jeweller grade emery cloth and gentle elbow grease. Happy days!
Chris

Latest posts

Back