Carlton Corsair

BobToo

Retro Guru
A couple of years ago I bought an early 80s Carlton Criterium, which was a great bike but just not suited to my purposes. After a bit of research I concluded that the Corsair would be more suited to my needs. Then a Dawes Super Galaxy came up on here this time last year and I bought that instead, so the search was off.

From time to time I do a "nearest first" search on eBay to see if any local bargains turn up and a couple of weeks ago I came across a badly listed Corsair in need of a bit of TLC with a starting price of £45. I was all set to bid until I found the same picture in an unrelated listing with a BIN of £250. I don't know if the £45 listing was a scam or if the seller didn't have a camera, but either way I was out.

Slightly closer was this, described as a Classic Raleigh Racer. It had an impressive rattle can respray, which may well have been conducted while the bike was being ridden, with overspray on everything. A PM to our resident Carlton expert confirmed what I thought, it was a late 70s Carlton Corsair.

$_57.JPG

Other than the paint it looked to be in reasonable condition so I decided it was worth gambling £40 on and I picked it up yesterday. It looked a lot better in real life and shouldn't need too much to put it back on the road.

15725024030_2d6a7cf448_b.jpg

The seat post and stem both moved perfectly easily and the wheels are true, which is half the battle. The seat post is smaller than I would expect for a 531 frame, about 26.4mm. I'll try to scrape the paint off the Reynolds sticker and see what it says. It's got a W frame number though, so it shouldn't be a gas pipe frame.

15886519846_4fcbe468f7_b.jpg

I'm not sure what kind of derailleur this is but I have a Suntour VX to replace it. It seems that the early Corsairs didn't have a built in derailleur mount. This bike only has QR on the front, I don't know if that's normal. It's also got what looks to be a 14-24 freewheel, which will be replaced with something from my shed.

15290054734_5b26bab349_b.jpg

I've never seen a rack attached this way before. I think I have one in the shed that can make use of the braze-ons.

My plan is to give it a good service and get it as presentable as possible, then use it for a while to see if it warrants further work. I had planned to repaint it myself with rattle cans but I've a feeling it would end up costing more than paying somebody to do it properly.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I guess once upon a time it would have been metallic brown with champagne panels :D Nice find for £40 Someone might have put in a smaller seat post and tightened the clamp more as it should be 531.........

Shaun

I've a funny feeling I could make it brown/champagne again with gentle use of abrasives and some T-Cut, and I'll certainly give that a try. I'm reasonably hopeful that all I'll need to buy is a set of cables, so I should be able to keep the spend under £50, which isn't bad for a half decent 531 framed bike. I've certainly seen (and bought) worse bikes for more. I'm planning to update this as I fettle it.

just purchased one of these myself in the original brown & champagne .

they make great commuting bikes never mind anything else

Re: Re:

Tel":72sidcki said:
Plain gauge 531 is generally 26.4mm seatpost.

That makes sense, thanks. I still haven't got my head around the various permutations of 531 tubing.

Thanks Tel!

Sorry for the thread hijack, but my bike has 531 butted frame tubes, according to the decal. Will there be a certain seat post size for that? I'm thinking 27.2mm?

Loving the Carlton, by the way!

Latest posts

Back