Raleigh Road Ace (1986)

Robster914

Retro Guru
I can remember spending hours looking through the Raleigh catalogues dreaming of a top of the range Raleigh Racer, so when an opportunity to get one came up - heart ruled my head.

The bike was in good general condition for it's age, but I could see under the grease and grime that it was a 'good-un' and un-messed with....

please find some photos below 'mid-clean'. This wasn't going to be a 'concours' restoration, I wanted to keep it's originality so there are still some rust spots, wear on the handlebar tape etc.

Amazingy nothing was stuck/welded together!All the bearings & races were unworn- possibly still possibly original looking at the state of the grease :cool:

Re:

so after a thorough clean and regrease, a new set of inner cables, more 'retro' tyres and a bit of fettling, I think she has come up great :D

I love the patina it has, and I am really pleased I wasn't tempted to go for a full refurb.

The last couple of jobs will be to find some new brake lever hoods, and either a NOS saddle (which seem to be on the un-obtanium list). Alternatively I might see if I can dye the existing one, never tried that before so if anyone has any examples of what can be achieved that would be great.

Wow that has come up really really nice .......... great job. Love the old Raleighs

Re:

Thanks for the kind comments everybody.

After one of the brake hoods split completely, I had a look around and found a pair of tan dia-compe ones that seemed to look like they would work. I have stuck them on and they fit a treat,... Result!

Also the saddle was bugging me somewhat. I found on the 'bay a company selling leather restorer and this has come up a treat as well so rather chuffed with the how the old girl has turned out. I will pop up a couple of photos shortly.

Back