Trevor Jarvis 1990

Tamandua

Retro Guru
Picked up this 531c frame recently as I've wanted a British bike to add to the stable. It's a 1990 frame by Trevor Jarvis of Flying Gate fame, quite rare to see an orthodox frame by him. Spoke to Trevor via email, very friendly and helpful guy. He confirmed that he built it and is going to get back to me with further details of the original order,even asked if I would bring it to his annual event!

I had originally intended to use it as a rat / beater as there's considerable surface rust all over , but having seen it close up its beautifully made and I'm considering doing a full restoration. Some nice touches are the fastback seat stays, cutout lugs with filed down spearpoints, Silva v-shape brake bridge and rear dropouts that look like they may have had the cutout filled in (anyone seen ones like these before?).

Think I'll ride the frame for a while before deciding whether to restore the paintwork . Considering trying an oxalic acid or citric acid bath to get rid of the surface rust. Took the frame to Argos Cycles to get it checked over as I was worried about the rust and some pitting - they dismissed it as very minor and showed me some of the rust buckets they have restored! They suggested just touching up with Hammerite rust paint until I decide to have it painted. Not sure if I want to do this, may sand away the rust and touch up with clear nail varnish so I can keep an eye on it. Theres a lot to touch up though.

Interested to see what Trevor says about the frame - not sure if the Peter Hargroves sticker relates to the original owner, or if its anything to do with Peter Hargroves of Hargroves Cycles .

Thinking about what would look good on a build, perhaps Dura Ace 7400?

hi i was going to bid on this frame :) im glad a reader here has got it .the lugs and fb stays really appealed and
i just thought 'its got to be a light fast frame, probably not a much lighter 531 than this?'
the decals and h badge i also like!that' tough as boots' head badge resistant to everything i wish i could find
in custom form.

Cheers, I was local to the seller so was able to view it in person, was a bit worried about the rust but it seems fine. I like the fact it seems quite unique. The seller was a really nice chap , he pretty much had a house full of bikes and components.

Re:

I've been riding the frame for a few weeks now and it's as fun to ride as I'd hoped, feels really lively and responsive. I decided to sand back the rusty areas and coat with clear nail polish so I could keep an eye on them.

Unfortunately I dont have a groupset to put on it so riding single speed for commuting , but I'm keen to take it further afield so need to get some components! Currently running Athena calipers and cranks , theyre period correct so makes sense to try and complete the group. Once I have it I may consider a respray.

Re:

the shade of blue and gold lettering looks really fine.
you can get hammerite rust killer it leaves a blk/blue tinge and is waterproof after.
theres something special about a frame that was actually raced .
that goes for the naughty cobbles of paris roubaix too which mine could have done :xmas-wink:

Re:

Thanks Oonaff, I did use a rust converter as well. The paint is looking really tired up close but must have been stunning once - it's a flamboyant metallic finish , you can see where the blue laquer has chipped off to reveal the silver basecoat. I do have two other blue bikes though so may consider another colour , I think black and gold would look good. Did you see the commemorative keirin bike made for Chris Hoy by Shand ? This may be my point of inspiration if I do refurbish it.

http://www.hoybikes.com/news/113-hoy-cu ... eirin-bike

What is the bike of yours you are referring to ? Would love to see it ..

Black and gold would look great - but IMO that shimmering blue is epic.

Can't have too many blue bikes and that's a fact. :cool:

"Can't have too many blue bikes and that's a fact. :cool: " - haha ! for some reason frames in my size are always blue!

Heard back from Trevor today , he says it was made for Lowford Cycles in Southampton. Cant find any details about them online, I assume they are no longer in business. does anyone remember them?

ok chaps will collect from my lock up tomorrow and take snaps of the scars.ref to the hoy frame.
really obvious way to cutout a tube...why didnt i think of that ! :)
yeah i used to ride with a great bunch in devon for a while.
one day we went to see a race and i took a wrong turn and ended up on the circuit :roll:
the crowd started cheering me and i loved it :roll:
15 mins later a slip of a lad on a 531 came up the hill like a bird of prey to win.

Back