A French Classic : 1977 RH 753 - Christmas pics p5

bduc61

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I believe this is the first one presented on the forum

A French classic machine as its best :idea: :cool:

I was lucky enough to find it a short while ago in a barn ( hence the dirt !)

First I saw this

then

this

Initially I thought, how can a Rene Herse be out of Reynolds 753
Well , I learned that the tubing went out in 75 or 76 and this machine is 77
The welding was tricky so only "masterbuilders" were given the "goods" by the factory.

« Ti Raleigh would have been the first team to get 753 frames in the mid-70's. The original 753 was very "trick" for the time, and the frames experienced a number of failures. It was also difficult to braze - the original Reynolds certification "test" was taken seriously by framebuilders, and there are anecdotal stories of skilled builders who had been brazing for years building their certification frames in low light to be able to see the flame and control the heat better. Later, Reynolds made some changes that increased the margin for error and durability of 753, and the certification became more of a formality, with much less brazing required to pass the test.”

It was actually welded by the son in law of Rene Herse as Herse himself died in 1976. But he learned the tools of the trade with the "master".
The details are for the most part usual features
- center pull cable stop welded to the seattube
- distinctive Herse pulleys for these calipers
- Specific Herse crankset , who I believe was coming from Specialites TA ( it varied according to the period as Herse engraving is not always the same - sometimes in a rectangle - sometimes in a 'Kydney' , sometimes "alone".
- specific front derailleur hanger with only half of the usual Jubile collar used
- front rack with slots for a battery torchlight I unfortunatly miss
- Back light on battery

Some features are an evolution of the Herse work - such as the fork crown

Heine shows a machine of 1980 which incorporates some evolutions too.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/page/19/

The most amazing is the weight ! Could not believe my brains when I lifted it from the ground !

The machine with the pedals, the heavy brooks saddle, the fenders and front rack, the bottle cage is 9.910 kg :shock:

I played with another french "weightweenie" there
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=308106

but this one is also a success in that regard :LOL:

Clearly , it was meant to be light, being only built with 2 rings but with a rather small lower chainring for mountain "climbing", no dynamo and a lot of very light parts - such as the Jubilee mechs and finally tubulars on the so fluid Maxi Car hubs.

Later I will tell you the "story" of this nice machine :idea:

Cleaning has started and 30 years of dirt and grime are really painful to eradicate :roll:
but I don't complain too much :LOL:

Re: A French Classic : 1977 RH 753

Oh my :) Very interested to see how this cleans up..

Slightly surprised to see Weinmann centrepulls rather than Mafac?

anagrama":3tcek069 said:
Oh my :) Very interested to see how this cleans up..

Slightly surprised to see Weinmann centrepulls rather than Mafac?

I made myself the same comment :idea:

Especially as these are not really top of the range parts that you would expect on a Herse

Here the 1976 Brugelman catalog - the 610 is not specifically mentionned but it should not be far from the regular 999 :?:

But it is presumably because of their efficiency - for example there is a specific small dot outgrowth on one arm that slides into a groove of the other arm so reducing the twisting possibility and improving the efficiency.

So possibly the choice of a informed professionnel rather than putting the most expensive stuff on his frame - not everything the best is french ;) :LOL:

Excellent, this style of bike is my absolute favourite.
Really looking forward to seeing it back to its best.

That is so different to the usual 'ooh look, a Raleigh'. The little technical details are simply stunning.

Back