Vitus 992 it begins - more french now

bm0p700f

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well got this today of a fellow board member. The frame is good. I have stripped the bike down. Many of the parts are perfectly useable but being RX100 I am not sure I want to use these so the parts bin has grown bigger and some bits may be for sale too.

The frame, fork and headset weight in 2285g so quite light. The headset is Mavic so I am after build ideas. I want the bike to be quite light but a period looking.

I know I will be on the look out for another Cinelli Grammo Ti stem. I may keep the 3ttt podium bars as like the shape.

Groupsets ideas, well I have a Middleburn RS2 srankset on the way with a 130mm spider so that will be light when coupled with a Ti BB maybe Royce? As for mechs and brakes I have very good RX100 items that came with the bike. Even the RX100 shifters are in good order but since they are heavy I replace with a set of brake lever and Down tube shifters not sure. I was half thinking of a Mavic set of brakes, mechs and D/T shifters.

Wheels I am not sure at present.

Any idea's welcome escpecially for interesting but period rear and front mechs. Mavic is about as interesting as I can think of at the moment.

So what would you do?

Re: Vitus 992 it begins

I have Dura Ace 8 speed on another bike so done that already and love it. Campagnolo C-record had crossed my mind but I really do not fancy getting Campagnolo 8 speed hubs. They are heavy unless someone can suggest another period hub that is lighter (not hard) and can run a 8 speed campagnolo cassette. I know I can fit a record UD cassette to a modern campagnolo freehub but it will notch and it means I will ruin the rather expensive RE415 freehub I on my chorus silver hubs.

Are you looking for period correct (more or less), or just a nice build? You could always get a hub with shimano 8/9/10 speed splines, and use a conversion cassette for campag mechs (those conversion cassettes tend to be slightly on the heavy side though, so overall weight might not be any less). Personally, I think something more "functional" like dura ace 74xx, suntour superbe, mavic, etc works better on the vitus frames than campagnolo. Dura ace 74xx is always a good choice, but I agree that some variety keeps things interesting!

Campagnolo 9 speed might work though? It doesn't look much different to 8 speed, especially the earlier 9s stuff, and works a lot better. You might have to stick with ergos or friction shifting though, unless you can find some 9 speed barend shifters. I have read, but haven't tried it myself (yet) that campag and shimano 9 speed cassettes are so close in thicknesses and spacing that they are interchangeable. That takes us back to the hubs again, where you could use a shimano hub and 9 speed cassette, which are easy to find and not too heavy...

I want a nice light build with some period parts but not necessarily everything. All the bikes I own deviate from period in some way. The closest I have in my Pinarello Monviso with DA 74xx but a modern saddle. So functional but light is the order of the day.

I'd thought about Campagnolo 9 speed as well it from the 90's at least but I have just bought a Mavic 840 rear mech of ebay and an SKF Ti BB for the middleburn crankset. I have not decided on brakes yet. I have a number in the parts bin, Daytona, Chorus monoplanar, RX100..... might use one of them or I might spurge on something else. Did mavic make brakes in the 90's?

bm0p700f":1mrzx2ku said:
. Did mavic make brakes in the 90's?

as far as I know, they never manufactured some but subcontracted them to modolo
so there are several models from the 80s to the 90s

http://velobase.com/ListComponents.aspx ... e8e0aa8cef

The issue with Mavic is that its a bit tricky to regroup the necessary parts from scratch
the parts were probably rather expensive and you rarely find bikes with the whole lot on one and french amateurs are also quite keen on them too :idea: :?

This pic shows a coherent 80's Mavic group

This a 90's one

Well I would love an entire mavic groupset on it but that will not happen quickly will it. Mavic brake levers and brakes are on the list!

The brakes in that pic are early 90s, the modolo version (same as Sachs new success) later they went to the dia compe version. I had a set of the dia compe type on my caygill, still regret selling them...

Latest posts

Back