Brake Calipers: Weinmann 500
Brake Pads: Jagwire
Brake Cables: Wilko!

Shifters: Simplex
Front Derailleur: Shimano 105 FD-1050
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105 RD-1050
Derailleur Cables: Wilko!
Cassette: 13t/14t/15t/17t/19t/21t
Chain: Shimano HG50 (Original - Sedisport 1/2 x 3/32)
Cranks: Nervar
Chainrings: 52t / 42t
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN55
Pedals: Maillard CXC

Rims: Mavic Module E 700c
Hubs: Maillard Helicomatic (Rear) and Maillard front
Hub Skewers:
Nipples:
Spokes:
Tyres: Schwalbe Lugano Tanwall (replacing the original Michelin amberwalls)
Tubes:

Saddle: Flite Titanium
Seatpost:
Seatpost Binder:

Bottle Cage:
Extras:

Weight: 11.2kg (measured using bathroom scales!) - Catalogue states 10.5kg

So after 4 or 5 years of commuting to work on mountain bikes running skinny slicks I thought it was time to dip a toe into the waters of the road cycling world.......

One of my friends has had a Peugeot roadbike tucked away for several years. He bought it and didn't really ride it much so stored it away.

I happened to ask him about it about 6 months ago and he said that he'd be interested in selling it as it wasn't being used. We agreed a ball park figure and finally this weekend gone we managed to get together and he brought it round.

Doing a bit of research I think it's a 1985 Peugeot PH501. Googling based on the chrome 103 forks and 501 tubing I came across a mint example in a web article which matches what I have:

http://bikemag.hu/magazin/hirek/idogep- ... eot-ph-501

Comparing this factory fresh example to mine it seems that mine is actually quite original - even down to the tyres I think.

I gave it a quick look over last night, adjusted the seat position and dropped the stem a little (as it was extended past the max line) and naively decided to ride it into work this morning without really giving it a proper once over.

A mixed bag! Lovely bike to ride, and finally a bike that actually fits me! However about 2/3 of the way to work the rear end started making some nasty clonking clanking noises....worse when pedalling but still present when free-wheeling.

I made it to work only to find that the rear hub was missing a locknut on one side!! The outer bearing cone on the RHS had gradually started to unscrew itself......

Closer inspection shows that the other cone is quite pitted to so I think someone has been tinkering and has either forgotten to fit the locknut or lost it/not realised how important it is.

Aside from that she's a lovely old gate.....I know nothing about road bikes, let alone Peugeots from this era so any tips/advise on owning one of these racers is very much appreciated! There's plenty of tweaking and setting up to do (notice the brake block position as an example)! Anyway - it's a train ride home for me tonight.....but I can't wait to get it fixed and get back on it.

Quick (crap) iPhone pics from this morning:

Plans for it?

Fix rear hub
New tyres (but keeping the originals)
New bars - bullhorn style with black foam grips
Source some hoods
New saddle
Deep clean, polish and photoshoot! ;)
Ride it!

Re: First time Roadie.....1985(?) Peugeot PH501(?)

Lovely bike, rather like an old peugeot myself. Are you sure its the rear hub and not the free wheel ? Those mailard ones tend to loose their locking ring and then slide about.

Maca":2n0izx3k said:
Lovely bike, rather like an old peugeot myself. Are you sure its the rear hub and not the free wheel ? Those mailard ones tend to loose their locking ring and then slide about.

Cheers! I'm loving it - it's certainly got potential.....

Freewheel looks OK (need a special tool to remove if my research is correct - one with a built in bottle opener?) - it's just missing a lock nut on the drive side.

The adjustable cones look a bit poo....they are quite pitted, which means I'll be throwing them away. I've read that the bearings are smaller than most due to the design of the hub and there are no replacements for these cones. I've also seen statements to suggest that the helicomatic freewheel/hub is a great idea on paper but isn't actually that good in reality, and that they're best to be replaced rather than used......which is all very debatable or course!

Anyway I've maybe got a replacement on the cards thanks to a friend & retrobike member SIMONFREESE - and if that doesn't workI've got a spare 700c rear Mavic MA2/Shimano 105 wheel which could go on.

Pair of Michelin Sport Dynamic Tyres are on order, should arrive tomorrow as are a pair of black hoods (the original brown/gum hoods are missing).

Re:

Hi

How have you all been..hows the lttle one?

Nice bike..have not used my road bike in a while!

Regards

Hi Mart looking good, lucky you're a tall chap! You have a lot less to do than me in the pug stakes, I'm hoping for a spring finish. When I went looking for the maillard hubs last night I managed to extract the mud guards from the px10 so I've made a start! Off to the shed in the next day or so to look for those elusive wheels... Whayne, hope you're well, good to have all three saafend Retrobikers on one thread :)

Re: Re:

whayne":2y5thzqg said:
Hi

How have you all been..hows the lttle one?

Nice bike..have not used my road bike in a while!

Regards

Hi Whayne - little one is cool ta! Think we're settling into a bit of a routine (which I'm sure will change!). Hope you and yours are all keeping well?

I thought it was about time I invested in a road bike for the commute and obviously it had to be a retrobike! I've been riding it in this week to act as a bit of a shakedown to see which bits fall off/need replacing. ;)

You gonna join us on a Sunday morning ride at some point soon? (Reckon it should be a road ride soon too!)

SIMONFREESE":2y5thzqg said:
Hi Mart looking good, lucky you're a tall chap! You have a lot less to do than me in the pug stakes, I'm hoping for a spring finish. When I went looking for the maillard hubs last night I managed to extract the mud guards from the px10 so I've made a start! Off to the shed in the next day or so to look for those elusive wheels... Whayne, hope you're well, good to have all three saafend Retrobikers on one thread :)

Haha.....the Saaa'fend massif! innit.

Yeah - she's a bit of a gate but seems to fit me well. In fact it's quite nice to actually be riding a bike on the road which is the right size.....

I had a dig around in sherly's bike emporium (aka the man cave) last night and robbed a locknut off a spare 700c wheel that I have. I stripped the hub down, cleaned out the sludge/swarf(!), flushed out with liberal amounts of GT85 and then reassembled with fresh grease/new locknut. It's borderline graunchy (certainly not buttery smooth) but is usable for the time being. Be interested if you find the wheels as spares - let me know what you want for them or if you need anything as swaps.

Swapped the saddle over for a Flite Titanium too while I was there. No tyres as yet today - hopefully tomorrow as the current ones are a little past their best.......and the bottom bracket has a lot of play in it too. This needs investigation - hoping a stripdown, regrease, adjustment will cure.

How complete is your PX10? Have you stripped much off it yet?

Glad to hear you are out of trouble with the back wheel, if I can find the wheels (!) you are welcome to them...

The PX10 is a long way away from being ready. It needs sand blasting, painting, decals, lacquer, and rebuilding. I also need tyres and simplex cable clips plus some cotton tape. Lots to do! Looking forward to joining you on the road with the Pugs :) I have been looking out for an easier Pug project that I could use in the meantime, something from the 80's. The PX10 will probably only come out on high days and holidays so a second road bike makes sense. Funny how they seem to breed!

SIMONFREESE":3b4qm2nr said:
Glad to hear you are out of trouble with the back wheel, if I can find the wheels (!) you are welcome to them...

The PX10 is a long way away from being ready. It needs sand blasting, painting, decals, lacquer, and rebuilding. I also need tyres and simplex cable clips plus some cotton tape. Lots to do! Looking forward to joining you on the road with the Pugs :) I have been looking out for an easier Pug project that I could use in the meantime, something from the 80's. The PX10 will probably only come out on high days and holidays so a second road bike makes sense. Funny how they seem to breed!

Cool - much appreciated, let me know if you find them as my rear hub is still quite rumbly.....

Funny how one bike isn't enough - looking over this bike I started having thoughts of "maybe I should keep as is and not use it" as it's so original.......but I decided that it needs to be used and enjoyed!

Job done last night - stripped the bottom bracket out, cleaned out the crud/dead grease/rust, re-greased and re-assembled.

How smooth should these cup-cone adjustable bottom brackets be?

I played with it a bit last night and couldn't get it buttery smooth without a little bit of play. Presumably because it's worn? I've not adjusted many of these so I'm not sure what is achievable. I think I'll eventually put a sealed cartridge in for convenience.....

New tyres have turned up too!

Finally found a catalogue entry for the bike! Albeit in German....looks like it may be a 1986 model.

Thought mine might've been the biggest frame too...but the largest frame is a 64cm (mine's a 62cm)

Also looks like it's a continental model - this colour-way and spec only seems to be in the German catalogue.

http://www.peugeotshow.com/

Just added in the bike spec sheet to the first page.....I'll gradually fill this out as I find out more about the bike and its kit....

Back