Dawes Team restoration

Chairmanmo

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Nothing too exciting here – just an old Dawes I'm restoring to use as a winter singlespeed. This is more for my own records than anything but if anyone is interested and wants to ask questions, feel free!

So...

This is how it was when arrived (from cocodemer on here – thanks!):

IMG_2105 by christophermorrish1980, on Flickr

First thing I did was swap the wheels for some old Mavics I had lying about. The rear is Mavic Open Pro/105 hub, the front is a Mavic Cosmos:

IMG_2767 by christophermorrish1980, on Flickr

I used a cassette spacer kit from VeloSolo (gold anodised, natch) and a 1/8" gold KMC chain, also from VeloSolo:

IMG_2274 by christophermorrish1980, on Flickr

I did about 1,000km on it like that and found it to be a really smooth ride and very light as a singlespeed, even though it's only Reynolds 500 tubing. So I thought I'd tart it up a bit and use it through the winter.

So, firstly I removed the decals:

IMG_2771 by christophermorrish1980, on Flickr

Then I stripped it down for a DIY paintjob. The driveside crank was stuck and the threads were knackered so a little hacksaw work was needed there!

IMG_2782 by christophermorrish1980, on Flickr

Then it was ready for painting:

IMG_2784 by christophermorrish1980, on Flickr

Didn't want to spend loads as it's just a winter hack and the value doesn't really warrant a proper paintjob. So I gave it a DIY special with white Hammerite smooth:

IMG_2786 by christophermorrish1980, on Flickr

IMG_2785 by christophermorrish1980, on Flickr

Came up ok overall. A few runs but it will do for thrashing about on through the winter:

IMG_2793 by christophermorrish1980, on Flickr

After a day drying in the laundry cupboard (!), I started building it. Mudguards and brake calipers first:

IMG_2794 by christophermorrish1980, on Flickr

Then wheels and the all-important bottle cage!

IMG_2797 by christophermorrish1980, on Flickr

Now waiting on some parts from singlespeedcomponents.co.uk to finish it off in time for the Single Speed Suffolk 'tothepubandback' Tuesday night ride. Those parts are: alloy seatpost, Tektro drop bar levers, Sunrace 44T chainset, and cables. I'll be using an old Fizik Nisene saddle for the time being until I can get a Selle Italia Turbo in tan suede, and I've got some nice tan leather effect Deda bar tape to go on last.

**UPDATE – 28/10/14**

Right, all done. Seatpost and saddle just placeholders for now (although they seem to suit it quite well!) but everything else is complete. Took it for a 25-mile ride tonight and it was great once a few mudguard rattles were ironed out. Loving the 44x16 gearing.

Some pics:

Original framebuilders Reynolds 500 sticker off ebay:

IMG_2806 by christophermorrish1980, on Flickr

Ready to roll:

IMG_2807 by christophermorrish1980, on Flickr

IMG_2809 by christophermorrish1980, on Flickr

Pre-ride final checks:

IMG_2813 by christophermorrish1980, on Flickr

IMG_2814 by christophermorrish1980, on Flickr

IMG_2812 by christophermorrish1980, on Flickr

**UPDATE 26/11/14**

Finally got the Brown Selle Italia Turbo saddle to match the bar tape. And we are DONE.

Turbo-1 by christophermorrish1980, on Flickr

Turbo-2 by christophermorrish1980, on Flickr

Turbo-3 by christophermorrish1980, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back