Stokes frame... 60s?

OK-Kazunori

Devout Dirtbag
Here is another of my frames I'd love to get up and back on the road at some point.
This was my dads bike, A Stokes, although he can't remember if it was Stokes of Coventry or Stokes of London, I can remember it as a resprayed stickerless fixed wheel bike in the late 70s. He thinks he got it in the early 60s but can't remember much more. I renovated it in the early 90s for him, sadly throwing away most of its components and replacing them with cheap shimano parts. I had another go at renovating it again 10 yrs ago, powdercoating it in orange and used it as a fixed wheel again but it is currently stripped to bare metal with a protective coating of gloss lacquer while I work out what to do with it next! ANy thoughts or comments welcome.

uCMvHJ.jpg

UPNJh9.jpg

IYSYW5.jpg

tGJVN6.jpg

Yn2Qpj.jpg

Hi, I've just procured a Stokes of London from a fellow Retrobiker, and having done some digging ( not a lot about ) that definitely looks like a Stokes of London. I've attached a piccie of my B/B showing same hook type treatment to the lug, the rest of the lugs are based on a different lug so a bit difficult to compare. I believe mine's 1950, based on components, angles and stays, yours looks about the same, maybe earlier maybe a touch later, but not 1960's. Have you a picture of the B/B with the serial numbers, I've put it on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/tk_photos/15599302281/ if you want a look, forgive the green against green, I didn't go to photography classes ! Terry

Attachments

• stokes bb.png
    stokes bb.png
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,849
Re:

Stokes of Coventry sold Tom Bromwich frames I believe - this is much before my time but it doesn't look like anything I saw growing up around there bitd, I tinkered with quite a few older bikes in the late 70s and early 80s.

Looks like Terry has the right lead to me...

Here is the Bottom Bracket and all the associated numbers - there are a few..
British Made
GR23 V LS

M6QYG8.jpg

Re:

Hi, looking good, mine starts with a zero and is five digits, off to watch footie, will pass info on to the VCC expert and report back on what comes back, hopefully tomorrow. Terry

Looking at the seat stay tops and the rear end dropouts which are Osgear style, I would date it at late 40's/early 50's?

Back