Pour Les Enfants de La Patriiii-ie

McGonigle

Retro Newbie
This is my old 1983 Motobecane Touring which is currently undergoing a bit of an overhaul; new rear wheel, extensive cleaning of cassette, cogs, polish etc.

I've searched the web for more information on this 10 speed bike but haven't found anything relating to this 1983 model.

Rear and front derailleurs are Huret, the tubing is "2040" spec. And that's about what I know about the components at this time.

Attachments

• Moto.jpg
    Moto.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 565
Hi

My guess is that your bike is a model which Motobecane labelled "Le Velo" (model no. L.V.51). The bike came with a Stronglight Solida crankset, Maillard 5 cog set (usually 14x2:cool: with a Sedisport chain, Weinmann alloy sidepull brakes with dual levers, Rigida chromed rims and a downtube braze-on for bottle cage. Manufacturer for almost everything else on the bike was unspecified.

In 1985, I bought a Motobecane Grand Record (at that time the top of their consumer road bike range) and the Le Velo was - at that time - their entry model.

I can't tell you how many years the Le Velo had been on the market prior to 1985 - the attached images are from the 1985 brochure.

Attachments

• Le Velo spec 3.jpg
    Le Velo spec 3.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 545
  • Le Velo spec 2.jpg
    Le Velo spec 2.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 545
  • Le Velo spec 1.jpg
    Le Velo spec 1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 545
Thank you!

Whilst cleaning the cog set I discovered that your prediction is indeed spot on.

Attachments

• resize.jpg
    resize.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 535
I forgot to add that "le Velo" may well have been marketed by Motobecane in 1983 as "Touring": in any event, I live in Europe and it may just be a question of different markets, different names - horses for courses :)

I've seen a 79, and an 85 Motobecane catalogue and it doesn't feature in either so I guess its in your 85 catalogue and presumably it must have been in the 83 catalogue as well.

My recollection is terrible but I seem to remember that I purchased the bike 2nd hand somewhere between 1985 and 1993, probably closer to the first year than the last year mentioned. And I probably lost the receipt too!

Thanks again for responding.

Back