Rossin purchase

howdenbiker

Dirt Disciple
I purchased this bike yesterday, the previous owner having upgraded to titanium. I was on the look out for a steel frame road bike and hopefully this will fit the bill :)

The original gearing has been changed to lever operation with Chorus rears and brakes are Shimano RX100's.

Wheels are Mavic MA2's.

Can anyone help me with possible age and model? I think it is a lower spec model as it has Columbus Zeta framing, heavy by Columbus standards but featherweight compared to my MTB and CX bikes!

I'm guessing it is mid/late eighties, the badge on the head post is the 'R' in the pentagon and it has the 'R' cut out underneath. Interestingly the cables go over the bottom bracket rather than underneath.

Attachments

• Rossin 2.jpg
    Rossin 2.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 1,629
  • Rossin 3.jpg
    Rossin 3.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 1,628
Very smart :)

If there are 2 small holes in the dropout above and below the rear mech bolt then the dropout is for a Portacatena device. That dates it to late 70's to the early 80's. That explains the over bottom bracket cable runs and the gear cable along the top tube. Would have originally had downtube shifters.

Interesting stem as well:D

Nice find.

Shaun

Here you go, early 80's Rossin with cables and likely Portacatena dropouts like yours.........

LaneRossin_1.jpg

http://rossinproject.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... -from.html

Shaun

Re:

Thanks Shaun, just checked, there are two small holes, above left and bottom right from the rear mech bolt, I suspect that little but the frame is original although the bars are Cinelli Criterium. Lovely original bike in the photo.

I took it out for a quick ride this morning and it feels very solid and together.

I'm new to older cycles, what is interesting about the stem?

Rob

The stem looks like a black Cinelli 1R but with two grooves milled on the sides...........often get anything from SABA to Rossin pantographed on but don't recall seeing a grooved one..........

Shaun

I thought I would add some further bike details for anyone who is interested,

Frame - Columbus Zeta
Fork - not known but marked with Rossin 'R' in pentagon,
Stem - Cinelli 1R (thanks to Midlife,)
Bars - Cinelli Criterium,
Brakes - Shimano RX100,
Levers - Campagnola,
Front derailler - Shimano RX100, Originally downtube shifters,
Rear derailler - Campagnola Chorus,
Cassette, as above,
Rims - Mavic MA2,