New Project 1988 Peugeot Triathlon (Finished P5 11th Dec)

Maca

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Bought this a few days back, idea had been to clean up and use as a winter bike.

Sadly its not as good as I thought, so its going to get a full strip down, and repaint on the frame with new decals. Most parts will be polished and re-used but it will be getting a new pair of wheels and tyres, cables, saddle and post.

Watch this space for up dates, aim is to have it finished by end of November.

Re: Re:

ktuludays":243hda2b said:
very nice. would look nice with brown tape and saddle

Hmm i was gona go white and white but brown is an idea .......... any one any good with photo shop ?

Re: New Project 1988 Peugeot Triathlon

Ugh, brown.....

The only bike in history that just about got away with brown was this:

15274334847_d250fe93ca_b.jpg

Mark.

I'd get hold of some 0000 grade steel wool, (About £6 on flea bay for loads of it). Soak it in lots of WD40 and gently clean the frame with it. Dry it off and then polish with Autosol. It will bring the frame up a treat also the forks but don't rub too hard. Shame to re-paint it as it's only original once.

yeah,i really like peugoets.can you tell me please,is the tubing 103 ? i like the brake lever hoods.

Re:

Funnily enough I was in Beccles (suffolk) today and saw one of these parked down an ally near Greggs, looked lovely, noticed the Reynolds sticker, but not if it was 501 or 531

Thing is to be fair, if the paint was good nic I would keep original as I have the Raleigh Equipe but sadly this one is to far gone. Its a lugless frame and all the paint has come away from the brazing and there is alot of rust that is not just surface. So it will get a re-do.

The tubing is Reynolds 501 as are the forks.

Small update,

I've now pulled the bike apart, the frame is deff gona need a re-paint no two ways about it. The paint is just to far gone. The rest of the parts apart from the wheels are being cleaned / polished and re-used. Have decided to go with white saddle (as I have a rolls here already) and white bar tape as per original.

Will get some pics up later but here is one of the brake hoods that I am half way done with.

Washed and then left with peroxide cream on it for 4 days.

Very happy with results.

This bike is going to be used and used for all the places I can't take the 753 to.

Want to get as close back to this as I can

While I'm waiting for the frame to go off to paint I've been getting the parts that I'm keeping cleaned up.

So far I've done the calipers, Levers, Rear Mech, Gear levers and forks. All coming nicely imho.
Unfortunatly the wheels aren't gona be used because they're odd. Neither is the seat post as that was rusted to hell. And the headset is one of those Stronglight nylon ones so thats gona go to.

And for those that thought I shouldn't have it painted, these few pics are why I am. Its got a dent that needs filling, and the paint around the brazing is shot.

Back