Pinarello Montello - overhaul

Breso

Dirt Disciple
Everything started a couple of years ago, while in holidays back home in Treviso, Italy, I picked up a Pinarello Montello in banesto paint (nothing much left of it) and brought it in London, where I'm currently living.
The paint and decals were in horrible conditions, a-head stem and a fully working but pretty beaten up Chorus RS group.
First thing I swapped the stem for a even worst conditions 3ttt Pinarello panto stem, and then replaced the badly worn Mavic Open 4 CD rims for a new pair of CXP33.
pinarello-montello-9936_2.jpg

After an intense year of use, the chain jammed in the front derailleur, bending the braze-on. Didn't really know how to fix it, and I decided to move the group to another frame, waiting for the right time to fix and restore the frame.

I spent the months after collecting a graphite campagnolo group (mix of Athena, Chorus and Croce d'Aune :facepalm: ) and to think about the colour for the respray.
I looked at the 1989 Pinarello colour palette (middle of the montello years) and spotted the fluo range (I saw a couple of fluo yellow Montello in the net) so I thought, yellow looked cool, why not try fucsia? (fluo pink)
12colours.jpg

So I took the frame to Argos Cycles, discussed the details and decals and after 2 months the frame came back, built it up, and now it's like this:
pinarello-montello-9936_9.jpg

pinarello-montello-9936_8.jpg

Frame:
Pinarello Montello 54cm - Columbus SLX
Fork/Headset:
Pinarello Columbus / Chris King threaded headset Sottovoce
Crankset/Bottom Bracket:
Campagnolo Athena Graphite finish / Campagnolo Athena 115mm axle
Pedals:
Time Atac Roc S
Drivetrain/Cog/Chainring/Chain:
Campagnolo Athena Graphite finish / Campagnolo record exadrive 8sp 13-26 cassette / Campagnolo 52t/42t / Campagnolo C9 chain
Derailleurs/Shifters:
Campagnolo Chorus Graphite finish / Campagnolo Syncro II 8s Graphite finish
Handlebars/Stem:
3ttt Competizione Gimondi / 3ttt Record 120mm
Saddle/Seatpost:
Selle San Marco Rolls titanio / Nitto 65
Brakes:
Campagnolo Croce d'Aune Delta Graphite finish
Front Wheel/Hub/Tire:
FIR ea60 / Campagnolo Athena / Continental Grand Prix 4 Season 23mm
Rear Wheel/Hub/Tire:
FIR ea60 / Campagnolo Athena 8sp / Continental Grand Prix 4 Season 23mm
Accessories:
King steel cages (not pictured)

Class, that's just what I'm planning on doing with my Joe Waugh frame.

What do Argos call that colour ans may I ask how much it cost?

Dale cannon":333yraj1 said:
Class, that's just what I'm planning on doing with my Joe Waugh frame.

What do Argos call that colour ans may I ask how much it cost?

Thanks, I don't know the colour code/name as the guys at Argos showed me a their fluo samples and this was the only fluo pink they had...
I saved the chrome on front and rear dropouts, filled all the pantos, straighten the front mech hanger and in total was little less than £300
(I provided the decals)

c.zaballa":153f6ljv said:
Stunning! The all black components really make the frame springs out. Any idea how much it weighs?

10.5kg, not a lightweight for sure :)

Re: Re:

gavr":17ndvifk said:
Was the chrome shot? For me a bike like this is all about the shiney bits - sorry.

I think the same, usually, but this time I really wanted to play a bit and go outside the box. I've seen soooo many shiny Montellos that it made me think, why another one? It's a late 80's bike, and in my opinion it shines in its own way ;)

Ps: the chrome wasn't really bad but with a new shiny livery it would look worse than what it actually was.

Back