'94 Caloi by Eddy Merckx, MX Leader

TimmS

Dirt Disciple
My first steel roadbike!

Lotto-Calloi was a team in the early nineties. This frame was ridden by Mauro Ribeiro. It's from '94, since that was the only year he joined that team.

It's MX Leader in sheep's clothing, with the Eddy Merckx logo engraved in all the lugs and brakebridge.

Picked it up yesterday and took it to the shop. Just had daytona shifters and rear derailleur lying around for a mock up. Not sure whether it will be a dura ace 7400, athena 11v or chorus/record 9v build.

First I will have some work to do on the frame...

Re:

I saw that & would have had it if it was a lot bigger! It`ll make a lovely ride, well done for saving it!

Re:

Quoting from an other forum it has a 40mm x 30mm biaxially ovalized down tube and is shaped from a 35mm round tube with a .8/.5/.8mm butting profile. The MAX seat tube is also ovalized and shaped from a 31.7mm round tube with a 28.6mm diameter at the top and a 37x26.5 ovalization at the BB shell and an .8/.5mm butting profile. The 37mm axis was oriented with the long axis of the BB shell. The chainstays are 36mm tall and 18.5mm wide with a .6mm wall.

The top tube is not MAX but EL-OS, which is ovalized towards the head tube. The frame is in the shop right now so I can't meassure the diameter. I could probably do that tomorrow.

Re:

thanks tim, youve twisted my arm.... ill give you £50 for it.
you don't have to go to the trouble of exact measurements for my sakes,but if you want for future.
readers all right. when you mentioned the t tube yeah it looks different to some mxl frames may be even different to other merckx mxl frames[could of been the angle of view] ,which would be good in it !.its great to view such frames
and im wondering now if cannondale started the change of tube shapes in ally just before these ?
and how these are actually formed ?
be good to see some caloi pics check out the kit ! cogratulations on your find.

kevin.

Re:

I think the toptube looks similar to others.
I measured it yesterday, it is horizontal ovalized at the head tube to 31.4*26.8 and vertical ovalized at the seattube to 27.5*30.5. In the center it's round, measuring 29mm.

Re:

yeah thanks for clearing that up mate, i look forward to reading your review of the ride .and your research into caloi gr sets,be great to see some pics of them in action and the rider on that bike.

Re:

Difficult to find pictures of the '94 Lotto-Caloi team and bike.
Best picture I found shows Andrei Tchmil on what looks like a Extra Corsa.
Clearly it is build with dura ace as are the othe pictures of team bikes that I found.
I also spot a grammo so I think I should start saving some money :LOL:

tumblr_m2s3kl9bXV1r4o0yso1_1280.jpg

nice ones,Hs might have some, got mine here. mavic cosmics?? always looked good same as shamals but would nt
like to use them on the country lanes round my way,just a bit of muck on my screen at the mo.thanks for your
work.[dont reckon my trek 2300 is worthy of da so have a crankset 7402 if your interested]

Re:

Just bought some Chorus 9v cranks, brakes and front derailleur to complement the daytona parts for cheap. This should be fine to get it through the winter. In the mean time I can save and search for something that realy suits the frame.

Back