1978 French Market Raleigh Team Record

Grafix

Dirt Disciple
Had two great rides out this weekend in perfect weather on my Raleigh.

The Bike is unrestored. I think it is in lovely original used condition for its age though. Worksop/Carlton built in 1978, 531 throughout, Campag NR gears, Sugino Mighty Chainset, Mavic GP4 rims on Record hubs, dia-compe brakes and SR royal stem and seatpost. I have replaced the tyres and the saddle.

It is genuinely great to ride, it purrs along smoothly and quietly and it is not slow - I have covered rides of just over 20 miles at 18.8mph on it. The non-indexed gears and so on give it a real sense of involvement too, they also make you think ahead more.

The bike came from Poland but is the French market variant - including French threaded BB - which I did not realise Raleigh ever did.

I hope you like it.

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).JPG
    photo 1 (1).JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,578
  • photo 2 (1).JPG
    photo 2 (1).JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,576
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 1,576
Re: 1979 French Market Raleigh Team Record

The Sugino Mighty with the cut out crank arms is a cult classic and currently on my shopping list :)

Shaun

Looks lush! I'm surprised too that Raleigh used a French BB on a French market bike. The French never did the reverse for us until they adopted English threading for all bikes.

Re: 1979 TEAM RALEIGH RECORD

1979 TRR New Zealand market variant is the same or very similar to the French 1978 model cited in this iniating thread. The 'Team Raleigh - Record' above is same as my 1979 Australsian marketed model in paint, decals and Fork blade chrome masking. Brakes are not 'dia compe' however, but 'Weimann 610 Vainqeur 999' centre pull brakes. Mine has 'Winners Tour de France 1978 - TEAM RALEIGH' gold sticker on front down tube. Also little spring backed rear wheel adjusters with black shiny plastic finger adjustment[like acoustic guitar tuners]. My frame had been factory painted bright yellow all over under the red. A factory recycled frame I assume.
Frame Number:
WA 90032 4

I have not inspected the BBS yet, as all is sound.
However will have a look to compare notes above ( :
New Zealand used to import Canadian 'Redbirds' 100 years ago and sometimes a lot of designations for other markets get dumped here.
I am very interested in the French Connection with the Raleigh Team - Record however ( :

Re:

Lovely looking bike. I get a warm feeling inside, every time I see a Team (painted) Raleigh.
I have got a similar model (team colours, badged as a 'Record', but a better frame than the UK badged Records - all 531, as you say).
I had a problem sorting the bottom bracket, as I didn't know its origin. it was bought NOS and I eventually put in an eccentric bb, which is an ingenious idea.

Enjoy,

David

Back