Restoration thread: Raleigh Competition 531c cira 1988

Captain Vimes

Retro Guru
Just started a new restoration. This is my brother-in-laws Raleigh Competition which he bought 2nd hand but in excellent condition in 1990. Safe to say that he has ridden it a lot and changed worn parts as required, but that is about it!

Lots of work to be done here, but looking forward to giving it at least another 25 years of hard use. :)

Some pics to give you an idea of what I am up against..........

Re:

Yep, it does have the chrome forks but they are badly pitted under the current paint. Sandblast and powdercoat in similar as possible dark grey. Strip, clean and reuse what I can and replace what needs replacing. Not going to be original as will be well used again, just want to give it a new lease of life.

Surprised to see a Competition with mudguard eyes.

I hope it's not too late to say please don't powdercoat it.

See how well the frame polishes up first with a clean oily rag.

Hadn't noticed the mudguard eyes, and yes they are extremely unusual for a Competition...

Re:

Been giving the frame a real good clean this evening. It might have to stay original as I have stripped it completely save the bottom bracket, which will not budge despite having the right tools....

Still it has come up better than expected and I also have a new decal set that will freshen it up nicely. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

The mudguard/rack eyes are brass braze ons I think. Don't know if the first owner had them done from new or if my bother-in-law has had them added. He has used the bike all year round for commuting. I shall ask him.

OK.... slightly longer between posts than I expected, just too busy to get on-line.

However, it is finished!

Turns out to be a 1985 model and so I know the decals are not quite right, but it has been restored to ride for the next 20 years, not to be original. :)

I'm pleased, and I hope my brother-in-law will be too as it is his bike! Total cost has been £95 as I managed to use most of the existing parts only replacing a few. Powder coated in a metallic grey that is not too far off the original colour.

Latest posts

Back