Campagnolo 8 speed

Merlin

Old School Hero
Brake levers and shifters - Record Ergo
Brakes - Record Road
Chainset - Centaur 46, 36, 24
Front and rear mech - Record OR
Rear wheel - Record OR 135mm hub 36h, Mavic Open Pro rim, DT Swiss Competition spokes
Campagnolo Record cassette - 12 to 23
Front wheel (yet to be built, the one in the photo is a temp.) Record Road 32h hub, rim and spokes as above
Seat post - Chorus steel
Headset - Stronglight
Stem - Cinelli XA black, 105 mm
Bars - Cinelli Top 64 Ergo, Cinelli bar tape.
Pedals - Shimano
Chain - Wippermann Connex 808
Saddle - Selle Italia, Flite Titanium Kevlar
Frame - Reynolds steel

I have always liked the appearance of pre 1995 Campagnolo components and they still work well. I chose this set up to give a reasonably wide range of gears with the still readily available 12-23, Campagnolo Record 8 speed cassettes.

Attachments

• DSC00776.jpgweb.jpg
    DSC00776.jpgweb.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,029
  • DSC00781.jpgweb.jpg
    DSC00781.jpgweb.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,029
Re:

a few more pictures

Attachments

• DSC00780.jpgweb.jpg
    DSC00780.jpgweb.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 978
  • DSC00777.jpgweb.jpg
    DSC00777.jpgweb.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 978
  • DSC00778.jpgweb.jpg
    DSC00778.jpgweb.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 978
Re:

Thank you! I really wish there was a Campagnolo pedal option that is as user friendly as these Shimano SPDs. I bought these pedals in 1993 and have used them on many bikes since so they are contemporaneous with the Campagnolo components and I can not fault them for functionality and (obviously) durability.

Re:

Lovely clean build, not sure on the Red Flite though and those pedals Aaaargh! Plenty of other options than Campy, at least go for a European road style and brand, Look? Mavic? etc, I always find the Shimano pedals Spd are like pedalling on a Walnut and I end up with pressure sores on my feet, not so with road pedals, which also have more float.

Thanks for the kind comments. I had the frame painted black because I wanted it to look anonymous and then I decided it would all look too black so I stuck on the red saddle and bar tape which I had bought for another bike. I have a black Flite from the 90's which would suit but then I will have to re-wrap the bars, which I may do anyway because I made them too fat. As for the pedals, I have never had problems with them but maybe I don't ride far enough. I like the convenience of shoes I can walk in. I have some nice Campagnolo pedals with toeclips and straps but I find the straps tend to rub the cranks. Maybe I should give road pedals a try

Re:

I honestly would, Look pedals are very good and light, with loads of float and so easy to get in and out of. The road shoes are also better, lighter and stiffer with more choice, more pedalling efficiency and adjustability.
I like the red touches, just the Flite saddle not so keen on, probably the Yellow graphics?

Nice bike and I'm with you on SPD pedals as I use them because I have to walk in my bike shoes, and have never had an issue with comfort. All I would do is get a new polished set.

Back