RJ Quinn

plankton

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone. I am new to this site and thought I'd say hello and show you the reason for me joining.
My Dad sadly passed away a few years ago and in the sort out of his belongings we found his old bike in the loft. It is an RJ Quinn that he had as a youth living in Wallasey. He told many tales of riding it from Wallasey to Anglesey on weekends and of how much freedom it gave him. As kids we were forbidden from riding it (we understood coz we wrecked everything !) and in later years it ended up forgotten about in the loft.
Anyway, I found it and asked my boss at work (a keen cyclist) if he'd like to clean it up. When he saw it he jumped at the chance and I gave it to him with the remit that it had to be original. No spray job just clean it and get it going.
Anyway I found this site while doing research and thought you might be interested to see the finished article. I will try and post more pics soon.

Attachments

• P1010150.JPG
    P1010150.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 678
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 678
Re:

I love those bikes - I have a similar RJ Quinn - possibly not as nice as yours. Great quality frames - think mines 531 SL or something.
In the 60's and 70's, I remember flocks of cyclists coming through, my then, home town of Ruthin in Wales, heading to the coast from Liverpool. Most of those Liverpool riders had Harry Quinn bikes or RJ Quinn bikes.
A great way to honour and remember your father too!

sisyphus":1hpdv41w said:
Does any one know if R& J Quinn really were the brothers of Harry?

Deffo. Harry inherited the family company. The brothers fell out :(

In my book a Ronnie, Jack Quinn is just as good as a Harry Quinn

Welcome plankton :) You asked for original , so you score 10 out of 10

Now ride it to Anglesey, its a great bike :)

Re:

Thanks for the comments. A few more pics :

Attachments

• P1010145.JPG
    P1010145.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 592
  • P1010146.JPG
    P1010146.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 592
  • P1010149.JPG
    P1010149.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 592
  • P1010151.JPG
    P1010151.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 592
I will post more later.
I gotta say though my Gaffer (Steve you know who you are!) played a blinder sorting the bike out. He stripped it and meticulously cleaned every part. When it was finished and I went to collect it I was amazed. I rode it down the road for a bit and I have to admit it was quite an emotional thing being as how it was the first time I had ever ridden the bike and I know that the old fella would have been proud as punch. I can't thank Steve enough for the sterling work he did (and all out of love of the old bikes too).
I am torn between riding it properly or hanging it on the wall (it is a piece of art).

Re:

That's a gorgeous thing and really well restored! It's great to see another Liverpool racer brought back to life! Now get riding!

Latest posts

Back