British Made Kinght Cycles of Wolverhampton Track Build

Supreme

Dirt Disciple
Little bit of history. I joined up to the board to gain info on 90's MTB's as I have never owned one but thought some of you may be interested in this build.

I have grown up around classic lightweights as my dad used to race in the 60's and 70's and he still has some gems locked up in the garage, some of which i have usede to help me with this built.

Been riding track and fixed conversions now for 10+ years and have owned everything from budget beaters up to full NJS builds.

This project was a bit of a blind/impulse purchase I made with some tax rebate money, the picture below and a very basic description wass all I had to go on.

_57_zps9fb51983.jpg

Anyways i took a chance and it arrived in a big box from Staffordshire.

The only stamping on the frame is prefixed JM and the decals are for J&M Cycles in Rugeley, Staffs.

I found a phone number but they have ceased trading. However the man I spoke to said that in the 70's/80's they had frames built for them by a Wolverhampton company called Knight Cycles.

Found this article about Knight on the internet and the frame has the wrapover seat cluster like in the picture so I guess it is a Knight frame, although other builders do use this feature too.

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... lders.html

So I reassembled from delivery to check what worked and what needed changing, what compents were fitted.

It rode lovely and from its dirt and cobwebs had sat for some time.

I grabbed a picture, mid strip down.

photo3_zps798a2b39.jpg

photo4_zps3cb9aa07.jpg

Some more digging into Knight Cycles actually had me speak to the man who built my bike many years ago! he was a fountain of knowledge and a really enthusiastic guy. Knight now make the wheels for Brompton folding bikes.

From speaking to him I found out the frame is Reynolds 531 and its colour is actually pillar box red, which was one of the most common colours at the time of manufacture.

The bike is/was fitted with a mix of italian (Campag) and french parts, which again dad says was quite common for British made bikes of this era.

I decided to try and source as many Campag parts as possible and build up something special.

Had some old Campag parts I was looking to get polished but found a guy in London who offers hand polished Campy parts on an exchange basis. So went up with with some well used parts and came back with these....
photo2_zps6a537662.jpg

photo1_zps6c160592.jpg

Dad had this lightly used Campy Pista BB in the parts garage but it is missing the DS cup, so on the lookout for a English thread, thin walled cup.

image_zps9e18fac3.jpg

Now I dont want it to just look pretty but I want it to run well too. So stripped the pedals and hubs down, deep cleaned the races, cones and replaced the bearings with high grade balls and Dura Ace grease I had left over from an old NJS build.

image_zpsc6610688.jpg

image_zps2351187c.jpg

The rear axle threads were damaged so had to chase the cone off with an old lock nut and find a new axle.

image_zps0044197f.jpg

Also had a go at polishing up the pedal bodies while they were stripped using 3 grades of scotch pads, a polish with Belgom and sealed with Renaissance wax. Came out pretty well I think....

image_zpsae71f3bb.jpg

For a 'bulk' builder, Knight made some nice frames. You occasionally see ones with the Knight transfers but I suspect most of their production went aound with someone else's name.

A namesake of mine used to build frames with them but I doubt if he was related.

BTW, who did your Dad race with BITD? 60's and 70's is my era!

Mike also still builds all of my wheels - like you say he's a top guy to talk to in the odd moments he's not tweaking twenty-inchers! This build is looking very special too, look forward to seeing the end result... :cool:

glorfingal":1dbyx4gh said:
very nice indeed :)
Thank you, its coming on. Wheels are in for lacing, should be ready tomorrow.

elPedro666":1dbyx4gh said:
Mike also still builds all of my wheels - like you say he's a top guy to talk to in the odd moments he's not tweaking twenty-inchers! This build is looking very special too, look forward to seeing the end result... :cool:
I had forgotten his name but as you said, I spoke to Mike, proper legend. Thanks, really excited myself, built up a few bikes but this one is a real keeper. Should be the amount I have spent :shock:

Old Ned":1dbyx4gh said:
For a 'bulk' builder, Knight made some nice frames. You occasionally see ones with the Knight transfers but I suspect most of their production went aound with someone else's name.

A namesake of mine used to build frames with them but I doubt if he was related.

BTW, who did your Dad race with BITD? 60's and 70's is my era!
As said above I have owned a few road/track bikes from gas pipe junkers to NJS Keirin frames but have really fallen for this Knight, its lovely and as if it was made for me.

I'm over at my parents this weekend so will ask him. I know it was more hobby racing than as part of a team but think he was part of a club, around the South Coast. He lived in Burgess Hill in Sussex at that time and i remember him mentioning endurance and night jaunts in the local area.

Finally got some time to update.

All parts are collected and ready for assembly. I dont have a bearing press so the headset will be left to the professionals.

Frame was painted by Jon Aston at [http://www.chickensframeemporium.co.uk/](http://www.chickensframeemporium.co.uk/) really happy with the outcome.

Opted for a metallic burgundy which is hard to pick out unless in direct sunlight, Jon did a great job as did H Lloyd in creating custom colour decals to suit the frame.

image_zps49e6cd54.jpg

image_zpsfb86af3d.jpg

image_zpsf005adaf.jpg

Wheels are also finished, fully serviced by me and laced by Anthony and Richard at True Wheels using stainless butted spokes. I fitted Vittoria Open Corsa tyes to finish off.

Waiting on a BB cup which went missing and then i can assemble the final bike.

Back