1979 Motobecane C5

fulcanelli

Retro Newbie
Columbus SL frame from a Motobecane C5 w/ some Shimano tricolor bits added. From what I can tell the C5 was the top of the line model in France at the time, similar to the Team Champion in the States but without the Super Record bits.

Quite a few challenges to overcome with this one - number one being the search for a French threaded headset with a stack height of 34mm. After looking into various Campy Pista bits (bit expensive), settled on a vintage Stronglight P3 (which I believe it would have come with originally, albeit branded as Motobecane). There was a little bit of shimming and Loctite required to get the crown race snug, added new bearings and now working beautifully.

I couldn't tell if the BB was Swiss or French, and figuring the threads may be damaged anyway, went for the Velo Orange threadless which would allow me some decent options on the chainset.

For the wheels, I eventually managed to find some Mavic MA40s in decent condition and with the 7-speed 126mm compatible tricolor hub. Unfortunately the previous owner had put a 11-28 cassette on the non-compact freehub, causing the chain to rub on the smallest cog, so swapped it out for a new 12-28. Also the rear was a little noisy at first, so I overhauled the bearings, finding 11 on one side and 7 on the other ?!

Expect I'll be swapping out the brakes at some point, as the rear has come up a bit short.

54LU9sJ.jpg

7eK0pSA.jpg

ybOjLIU.jpg

Zi4Bg6k.jpg

hczw8hC.jpg

bUvY02i.jpg

XoYnpB8.jpg

EnA6IZU.jpg

T5kx8Y7.jpg

Re:

hi nice bike,and paint is proper retro ! i like the head badge which seams to echo peugoet's style.
i just wondered about the decals?

Thanks, you can see an example of the original here, with decals. Mine were a bit tatty, so I took the nail polish to them!

http://velospace.org/node/43854

Maybe I could find something more tasteful to replace them with, open to suggestions there. Perhaps keep the 'MOTOBECANE' and lose the stripes?

I will probably stick some amberwalls on there eventually, as they seem to suit it better.

fulcanelli":zu49wkqw said:
Thanks, you can see an example of the original here, with decals. Mine were a bit tatty, so I took the nail polish to them!

http://velospace.org/node/43854

Maybe I could find something more tasteful to replace them with, open to suggestions there. Perhaps keep the 'MOTOBECANE' and lose the stripes?

I will probably stick some amberwalls on there eventually, as they seem to suit it better.

i know what you mean,personally i love the chevrons and decal and believe they are in keeping with
the colour and i would copy as original. great find to have paint preserved that well !

You could be right, looks a bit bare as is. Will probably just go for the downtube if I can find a set - I've found some in blue but not in black so far.

Also keeping my eye out for an older type Columbus set, like this one but in French -

Columbus_SET_17BV.jpg

and with the triangular fork decals.

hi its deffinately a find to get more involved with.i will keenly watch all updates on this topic.

Black downtube decals are in the post (no stripes sorry!), also a pair of Veloflex Masters, some standard reach brakes, and a period correct Columbus decal!

Pics to follow soonish.

Re:

Nice base :cool:
even if it is a latter group from the end of the 80's and the bike is more from the beginning, it fits
you will find rather easily Shimano 600 tricolour brake calipers and levers to complement crankset and derailleurs.

needs a more periodic saddle though that goes with the group :idea: ;) such as a flite

if not the original saddle was the ideale 2002 :idea: visible on most high end french bikes of the 80's

Cheers and thanks for the info. I agree the Flite looks nice and would be a good compromise being very usable as well. Quite enjoying the Arione though so would be hard to let it go!

Maybe I'll pick one up as I can always transfer between builds.

I've got some modern dual-pivot calipers which I'll be sticking on (R650), looks shouldn't be too out of place and more importantly they'll reach! At least a step up from the Weinmanns it would have come with originally.

Back