Late seventies/early eighties Witcomb...

BerthaPog

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Well a trip to watch the Tour de Yorkshire would seem incomplete without acquiring another bike. Rest assured, the team mechanics do need not check their current frame count. :)

Marc Two Tone posted up a link to a York bike rescue centre having a jumble the weekend of the TdF in Yorkshire. So thought I'd wander over for a rummage - there's a few obscure bits I'm looking for and jumble rummage is usually the best place.

So Sunday afternoon rummage, picked up a really nice Simplex front mech, and a Weinmann centre pull brake, £2 for both, well pleased. Also noticed a Witcomb[*] road bike (less wheels) hiding away with a very reasonable "sold as seen" price but no time to really check it out as they were closing.

[*] Classic hand built bikes from south london - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witcomb_Cycles & http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... tcomb.html & http://www.bikebrothers.co.uk/witcombvisit.htm for info. I'd owned a ladies Mixte version for a while (other half learnt to ride on it) so knew they were pretty nice frames.

Wandered back on Monday morning for a closer inspection, looked reasonably tidy, BB span nicely, no scary rust marks, was about the right size, so deal was done, packed into the car and home it came.

So what have we got...very nice steel frame, doesn't say what tubes, but heavy it is not, nice lugs and lining. Interesting mix of bits, Brev Campag dropouts and forks, Ambrosio bars, modolo sorting brake set, shimano 600 front mech and first series Dura Ace rear mech. Chrome forks and drive side chain stay would benefit from a bit of TLC, and a set of wheels would help. Even came with a set of very dead tubs strapped to the saddle with a toe clip strap, so hasn't been used for a while. Condition of the "suede" saddle gives a clue to how little use its had.

So now with the pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_1002_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1002_edited-1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 965
  • IMG_1004_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1004_edited-1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 964
  • IMG_0996_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0996_edited-1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 964
  • IMG_0994_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0994_edited-1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 964
  • IMG_1001_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1001_edited-1.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 965
  • IMG_0992_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0992_edited-1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 965
  • IMG_0997_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0997_edited-1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 965
  • IMG_0990_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0990_edited-1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 965
Nice :D Smack in the middle of my Era which is mid 70's when there was a trend to braze absolutely bugger all on the frame, hence the cable clips and band on shifters, does it have the luxury of brazed on BB guides :) ...........and drill a few holes here and there..........just a bit jealous :)

Shaun

Midlife":2kaichkq said:
Nice :D Smack in the middle of my Era which is mid 70's when there was a trend to braze absolutely bugger all on the frame, hence the cable clips and band on shifters, does it have the luxury of brazed on BB guides :) ...........and drill a few holes here and there..........just a bit jealous :)

Shaun

Yep has brazed cable guides on the top of the BB - will get some better pictures once it's had a clean.

Anyone got a set of wheels that will suit - likely to be 700c on a 126OLN 6 Speed rear but will check later.

Love that.

Sticker on the forks suggests it was originally built with Campagnolo Record Groupset, but rear mech is Dura Ace.

What size is it?

Re:

Some wheels arrived today, complete with tyres and not too spend either. Rear wheel in, no problem. Front wheel doesn't war to play. :-(

Looks like the dropout is slightly narrower than the diamter of the "axle" where it sits in the drop-out - see picture below. Tried a modern (2009) front wheel and that has the same problem.

So when did they change the axle diameter/dropout width and what are my options, other than finding another set of wheels?

Attachments

• IMG_1397_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1397_edited-1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 701
Back