Cannondale - 3-Speed Campagnolo

shutter

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Lets start with the pics… Details are below:

This one is hard to explain... I came across this bike as a complete build from the original owner listed locally... it was quite cheap and I really liked the wheels so I picked it up. My original intent was to keep the wheels and sell off the rest... But after getting it home I really started to like the frame…

I already have too many regular geared road bikes so I decided to make this one a single speed… only issue is that this one has vertical dropouts so I would need a chain tensioner… the problem is that they never work properly… soooo why not use the best chain tensioner… a rear derailleur

I put it together with an old super record rear derailleur as a chain tensioner but it was not very usable for the hills on some of the roads around here so I decided to make it into a three speed… this is why you see the crazy setup… without getting too technical, the only rear derailleur that would work for this setup is a Campagnolo Croce D’Aune… This has to do with the cable routing for where I wanted the shifter…. Why did I want it there? This is where campagnolo mounted their first ever shifter… watch this video to see for yourself… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6UYOlN ... e=youtu.be

This required my mechanic / machinist to make a little plate with avid roll-a-ma-jig pulley and shims for the shifter. I went with that shifter partially because it’s the coolest looking one, but mainly because it’s the only one with an adjuster on it… this is necessary because there is no adjuster on the derailleur anymore…

For anyone who wants to give this a spin take note... be VERY careful when shifting while riding... if you reach too far in the bladed spokes will slice your finger off :p

Feel free to give me your open criticism =)

Reactions: CTK
I think it's great. I really do like the whole thing...very creative, good job
You're game though with that shifter :)

Jonny69":1ms35o62 said:
I didn't get it at first, but I understand now. Great idea - and it works.

Thanks! I had a couple close calls with that shifter but luckily I haven't lost a finger yet ;)

Re:

Think it looks ace and very good job on the shifter... unique for sure and nice to see your commitment to doing something different :cool:

Reactions: CTK
Re: Re:

AndyMc":u9fm1768 said:
Think it looks ace and very good job on the shifter... unique for sure and nice to see your commitment to doing something different :cool:

Thanks! Chain tensioners are the easy way out =)

I love anything a bit different - and this certainly is! One question though, as you rightly point out, that you haven't yet lost a finger :facepalm: - would it be possible to move the Campag shifter further up the stay out of the way of the wheels/spokes, nearer the the saddle? Or does the angle of the stay interfere with the routing of the cable? (I've probably answered my own question there!!!!)

Meejoir":2ndl3j4l said:
I love anything a bit different - and this certainly is! One question though, as you rightly point out, that you haven't yet lost a finger :facepalm: - would it be possible to move the Campag shifter further up the stay out of the way of the wheels/spokes, nearer the the saddle? Or does the angle of the stay interfere with the routing of the cable? (I've probably answered my own question there!!!!)

Thanks! I could move it a bit higher but then the coolness of it would be lost as it would be right becide the brake caliper. It stands out better where it is. And ideally this is the best spot for it to be in terms of cable pull. =)

Just seen this on the SS thread. I like it, and the gear set-up as given me some inspiration for a drop-bar MTB
build on the (infinite) boil - I'm pretty much in the same boat of only needing about 3 gears to change
once or twice in a blue moon, however I can't put a down-tube shifter on a oversized MTB down-tube because
of width and it is top-tube cable routing. Your set-up would work a treat as long as it doesn't foul the
wider and lower canti-brakes and doesn't stick out too far for heal catch.

Where did you get the gear lever boss from? It looks a too good set-up not to try it!

Surprised nobody as suggested to use bar end shifters yet, but I suppose we all enjoy tinkering
and doing something different and quirky! Love the Campag historical reference!

Back