Claud butler road bike 1960's 1970's...?

mrgumby

rBotM Winner
Can anyone help me identify this claud butler frame?

I picked it up last week from a guy who got it from a house clearance.

The original owner had been a very keen cyclist and it came with two sets of wheels: one was (large flange) campagnolo record hubs with tubular rims and the other was a flip flop hub clincher set (5speed and fixed).

The crankset is campagnolo record strada with 48/52 chainrings.

The drop outs are campagnolo. Apparently it was made to measure for the original owner.

It doesn't have a model name on it and the closest thing I've come across is a holdsworth super mistral from 1969.

Does anyone know much about claud butler/holdsworth? I'm trying to date it and get a model name if possible.

bbf1a2a209e9e6bde36354988031b47a_zps14fcc12f.jpg

15ad1147822a073206e6c4787582dfef_zps4d15dfb9.jpg

Wheels
a617b397570cea334c8f75290a45ffab_zps8345155d.jpg

Thanks, matt

Re:

Hi, it is a Claud Butler version of the Mistral, I think it was the Torino,the sloping fork puts it late 60's early seventies and it has the thick version of the wrap around stay - very nice. Terry

Now that is such a nice frame :)

We had one hanging in the bike shop where I worked which was from the very late 60's or very early 70's. It was my job to take frames down periodically and polish them.....the Flam finishes looked a million dollars in the sunshine as did the Lagoon Blue and chrome of the carltons.

Typical late 60's frame with simple lugs and Cinelli full sloping crown to make it look italian.........and the hopeless 52 / 48 chainrings which made not a jot of difference as you dropped down for a hill......which were replaced by the ubiquitous 52 / 42 in the early to mid 70's.

Shaun

Love the Purple, looks like it could use some love and care. I can't wait to see how it cleans and builds up!

Hi there,

I'm the new proud owner of this frame! I agree it appears to be a 68ish Claud Butler Super Torino. However it has a few features that makes me wonder if it was a "shop" build. I have not seen rings paired with TT cable stops on factory Super Mistrals or Torinos, it has solid rivets in head badge and also has an integrated Allen key seat bolt clamp both of which I believe are features of a Putney shop build. ?Holdsworth Italia range - branded a Claud Butler? See: http://www.nkilgariff.com/ I'm a newbie to the forum and would dearly appreciate any comments. I have more photos and a rather lengthy dissertation on a Flickr album!!! https://www.flickr.com/photos/76762476@ ... 723035788/

Also it is difficult to make sense of the serial number - 53621. Claud / Holdsworth variants appear to be all over the place.

Doug

Hi doug! good to hear from you.. How the weather in Nova Scotia!!!

I really love this frame. Possibly the nicest I've ever had the privilege to own, briefly.

Gonna check out your photos now.

Matt

EDIT: I've already seen those photos...LOL

Hi Matt,

Yes, it is a beautiful frame. Thank you!

I'm in process of moving so won't be able to get to frame for a few months, but plan to clean it up and retouch the paint. Should have a few new pictures by then!!! Will pretty much leave paint original except a few select touch ups. I'll leave the Stratton decal. - I think it has significance re history of frame. Haven't quite decided how I will build it up - pure vintage or perhaps partial new retro as I do have a set of VO PBP 700c rims laced to '71 Record hubs. Would like to use it for light touring.

Hopefully someone will have something more to add re origin and serial # of this frame.

Presently -10C in Halifax! No snow as of yet.

Doug

Period 'Torino' advert from a 1963 'Sporting Cyclist' magazine.

However, this does not have the sloping fork crown. Did this come later or was it on a 'superior' model?

Attachments

• CB63.jpg
    CB63.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 2,019
Back