Puch project

raleighrider21

Retro Guru
Just got this.
It was sitting on a front garden on my way to go and collect some parts for my scooter. Had a sign hanging on the frame, please knock on the door and ask. so I did. Spoke the owner for a good half an hour, he had the bike when he was a teenager and due to ill health he couldn't fix it up and ride it, he had no kids and wanted it to go to a good home. So that's my plan. Im going to clean it up. Get it into a good working state and ride it whenever I can. its a bit small for me but its a project. So I got it for free and im going to try to keep the spend on this one as little as possible but I still want to get the bike upto some sort of decent standard. thoughts on it?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 723
not able to do much today.
ive given it a wash. but that's all.
ill start taking it apart tomorrow. think ill just clean whatever I can up. regrease the bearings and replace the ones that are shot. replace all the cables and pads. clean the hell out of the rear mech. wire brush the wheels and cranks - fairly confident I can get the rust off. change the tyres and tubes - getting the wheels trued at LBS as im not very good at truing. bar tape I will probably just get done at LBS too, may have a go at it but never done it before - im more into MTBs. treating this as more of a dipping my toes into the road bike scene and seeing if I like it or not. if I do ill probably end up getting a bigger road bike.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 693
just quickly took the wheels off.
will get the lights off to mess with, clean up and see if I can get a new bulb/lense for the rear and get them working. if I can, brilliant. if not I can clean them up and put them in my spare parts draw incase I ever encounter some again and need spares/can make a good set out of two sets. wheels are perfectly salvageable. just need a good scrub, new tyres and tubes, regrease bearings and truing by LBS.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 687
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 687
Excellent stuff, this sort of thing is just down my street.
If you want to replace the crankset, there's a cottered one here for around £18 inc postage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/48-TEETH-SING ... 2a3f3d72f4

If you can't remove the cotter pins, cut the arms off with an angle grinder, going at 90 degrees through the pins. The axle, bottom bracket cups and bearings may be OK.

Please post update piccies as project progresses :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
im fairly confident I will be able to get the cranks off and cleaned up. the teeth look ok to me. if i have to cut them off then ill replace. I think the bottom bracket will just be case of strip, clean and rebuild with regreasing.
I want to attempt to reuse MOST of the parts on this bike, not too bothered if its not all shiny, just cleaned up and get the bike on the road again.
going to attempt to get the forks and brakes off tonight.

getting further tonight than I thought I would but I honestly think I am done until tomorrow now. I removed the old bar tape, which is pretty nasty. obviously now binned. removed all the cables, and saved them for future reference apart from the rear mech cable, that ill just do as I go along with. I have removed the brake levers, which have dia-compe stamped into them. going to hopefully clean them up tonight. the bell fell apart, that is another part I may have a go at saving. but for now its in the little parts tub. tomorrow ill finish disassembly and begin cleaning up parts + making a list of what I will need for the rebuild.

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 673
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 673
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 673
Back